March 2009 Babies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy Birthing Stories- Great Book

Go down

Happy Birthing Stories- Great Book Empty Happy Birthing Stories- Great Book

Post  Cheirogloss Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:10 pm

I remember a while back that someone posted asking for anyone who has a happy birthing story (i.e. one without complication, drama, crisis etc.). It may have even been on the old BBC board. Anyway, I found a great book called "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" by Ina May Gaskin. She is the head midwife at The Farm, an intentional community in TN that developed a safehouse and midwife assisted birthing center for any woman who was a single mom and didn't want an abortion (this is pre R v. W) or to give up the baby (http://www.thefarm.org/). Its pretty progressive, women centered, and a bit hippy crunchy.

The first 130 pages of the book are nothing but happy, good birthing stories. There are stories of hospital births, home births, midwife assisted, over 35 moms, single moms, VBACs. They are awesome stories. They all focus on the power of our bodies and how we are naturally equipped to give birth. It lets you see how other women make it through labor using mantras, visualization, emotional support etc.

The remainder of the book focuses on actual birth preparation: the mind/body connection, what happens in labor, pregnancy care, going into labor, giving birth, VBAC, choosing a caregiver. There is also a great glossary of resources in the back.

The book is wonderfully empowering and let's you know that no matter how hard labor feels, you can do it. If you're looking for happy birthing stories or some great info. on natural birth, this is a great resource.
Cheirogloss
Cheirogloss

Back to top Go down