March 2009 Babies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BACK ACHES

+10
JeniDwy
becky123
kboogie
Karen
TechieMom
PonyDoodleButt
dsdavin
Limedrop
SequoiaAutumn
mini*van*mama
14 posters

Go down

BACK ACHES Empty BACK ACHES

Post  mini*van*mama Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:22 am

Anybody else getting horrible back aches. I mean it hurts so bad right now and I am sitting up straight as can be.
mini*van*mama
mini*van*mama

Back to top Go down

BACK ACHES Empty Re: BACK ACHES

Post  SequoiaAutumn Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:27 am

Because i have been going to the chiropractor weekly, minus missing the last 4 weeks due to the power outage and holidays, i went tonight though for major hip pains. My back is not in bad shape. In the past pg's i remember how aweful it was. I feel for ya! But right now.. its my hips... its is really really bad!
SequoiaAutumn
SequoiaAutumn

http://salisburyseven.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Limedrop Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:30 am

mini*van*mama wrote:Anybody else getting horrible back aches. I mean it hurts so bad right now and I am sitting up straight as can be.

uh im sorry ure in so much pain.. mine arent THAT bad yet but i have noticed my back will start to ache if im sitting or standing too long.. The last few nights i have been sleeping with a pillow between my legs and it has helpped a lot! i use to wake up with a tight back but i havent the last few days..
Limedrop
Limedrop

Back to top Go down

Post  mini*van*mama Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:36 am

I sleep with a pillow between legs every night. That still does not help. It could be my boobs being the size freaking basketballs. tongue
mini*van*mama
mini*van*mama

Back to top Go down

Post  dsdavin Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:52 am

Mini van Mama~ I just finished putting heat on my back for an hour. It feels better now. I have had horrible back pain for the last couple of weeks now. I feel it most when I over do it. Also, I think that as my body changes and the baby is gaining weight it puts pressure on my back. I tried to take some Tylenol the other night but had a huge gag reflex and puked it up. So, I alternate ice and heat when I can. I hope you feel better. I am thinking it will probably stay this way for the next nine weeks or until I deliver and can get the great drugs from having a c/section.
dsdavin
dsdavin

Back to top Go down

Post  PonyDoodleButt Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:32 am

Its so bad with this pregnancy that I have to figure out a new strategy everytime I get out of bed. Last night I had to completelt turn over on my side,flip onto my knees and back my butt out of bed.
PonyDoodleButt
PonyDoodleButt

Back to top Go down

Post  TechieMom Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:55 am

I have a spinal injury from a car accident in the past, and have back pain even when not pregnant, so I am on partial bed rest due to back pain. But my doctor thought that I would be on full bed rest for the last three months, so I think I'm ahead of the game. Gentle prenatal yoga really seems to help (just beware anything that has you leaning forward a lot - I skip anything that doesn't feel good.) Swimming helps too, if you can find an indoor pool. I am always in the most pain on Mondays, I think in part because I am lazy with the exercise on the weekend.

I also try to sit in a reclined position, at slightly higher than a 45 degree angle. When I'm on my side, I put a pillow under my belly, which takes some pressure off my back, and the pillow between my legs when sleeping is a must as well. It is a lot of pillows, but you're entitled to whatever helps at this point.

I have a pregnancy belt that DH calls my contraparatus (half contraption, half apparatus) that comes in three parts that all velcro toghether. It feels somewhat confining, but it helps if I am going to be up and moving around. I got it at BRU. My yoga teacher also recommends the belly band, which might be enough for some women.

I find massage really helpful, and although I can only afford professional massages every once in a while (I have a friend that gives me a discount) DH is pretty good at it. If yours is not good, don't be afraid to help him learn. It's like sex in that he will get better if you let him know what you like.

To get up out of bed, I roll onto my side so that I'm facing the edge of the bed, then drop my legs over the side as I use my arms to push myself up sideways. It's the same way I got up right after I broke my back, and it helps. When getting up of the couch, I scoot my butt to the very edge first.

The most important thing I do is to know my limitations. I no longer try to be superwoman, because I know I will only suffer more tomorrow. Don't be afraid to ask people to help. DH and friends and family are the obvious choices for things around the house, but even strangers can come in handy. For example: you'd be amazed how by how happy most people are to help an obviously pregnant woman get something heavy from the cart to the trunk of the car (where DH can get it out at home.) I cried the first time I asked a guy to help me put a giant bag of bird seed in my trunk because I was embarrassed and just emotional, but he seemed so happy to help that it was easier the next time. Along the same lines, if I go grocery shopping by myself (which I am doing less the farther along I get) I have them bag all the perishables together so I can leave anything not perishable in the car for DH to carry upstairs when he gets home from work. Every little bit helps.

It helps me, too, to remember that it's only temporary, and that it's for such a good cause. I have back pain every day that doesn't result in a baby, so this pain seems like a good deal. Don't let it get you down too much, since pain often does cause depression. Everything is harder when you're in pain, so cut yourself some slack. I hope something here helps, and that you feel better soon!
TechieMom
TechieMom

Back to top Go down

Post  dsdavin Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:10 am

I was looking at the maternity belts the other day. I was wondering if it would help any. I think that I will get one this weekend. You are right, we don't need to be superwomen and do everything! There isn't much time left to take care of ourselves because soon it will be all about the little ones.
dsdavin
dsdavin

Back to top Go down

Post  TechieMom Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:27 am

Here's the one that I use, which my back doctor recommended:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2864117

As I said, it is a bit confining, and I am always glad to take it off when I get home, but it does help.
TechieMom
TechieMom

Back to top Go down

Post  Karen Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:07 am

Yesterday I was out for the afternoon and didn't want to deal with my (Motherhood) blue jeans constantly falling down so I put on my Bella Band. While I know it doesn't compare to a maternity belt, I did feel more comfortable wearing it. Later on in the day when my back would have been bothering me, it felt better. Coincidence, maybe, but I thought I'd mention it anyways.
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post  kboogie Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:52 pm

I broke down and bought a boppy maternity belt this past weekend. It is for prenatal and postnatal use- and was $25 at BRU. It gets irratating towards the end of the day- but I do think it helps the back pain. After I pop this baby out- it is supposed to suck me back into shape. Dh calls it my baby girdle.
kboogie
kboogie

Back to top Go down

Post  becky123 Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:58 pm

I bougth a belt from motherhood, just their brand and its aweful. It honestly doesnt help at all. I think I wasted 18$ on it and its non-returnable. So if you get a preganncy belt DONT get the ones from motherhood!!
becky123
becky123

Back to top Go down

Post  JeniDwy Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:19 pm

You may want to try stretching your quadriceps. It's supposed to help release tension around the lower back. I haven't had too much in the way of back pain and I swear the stretching really helps. If you like, try both of these daily and see if it helps!

Lay on your right side with knees comfortably bent a little.
Lay your head on a pillow.
With your left hand, grab your left ankle and pull back until you feel the stretch. Allow your body to roll forward a little.
Hold like that for a full minute and release. Switch and do the other side.

Also stretching your hamstrings should help.
Sit on the floor and extend one leg out and to the side.
Wrap a towel or belt around the ball of your foot and bend over the extended leg, holding onto the towel or belt (or your foot if you can reach). Keep foot flexed.
Hold for 30 seconds and release. Switch and do the other side.
This stretch is great for the calf muscles too.
JeniDwy
JeniDwy

http://ifoundhappy.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  kboogie Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:29 pm

Not to change the subject here- but has anyone had the kind of pain where it feels like someone punched you really hard in the vajayjay? I can put almost no pressure on my right leg when step on it- because of this pain.
kboogie
kboogie

Back to top Go down

Post  SequoiaAutumn Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:24 pm

kboogie.. I get pressure pains in the vagina and i think its from the pressure of her head pushing down there. It gets swollen too from the pressure and extra blood flow. I put my feet up and relax.. not saying it helps but takes pressure off a bit.

I just wanted to say how much i love love my chiropractor... Yesterday i was complaining all day about my hips.. i coudlnt sleep because my hips were screaming! Well after one short visit with him last night.. I slept comfortably through the night!!! OMG what a relief! If any of you are having hip pain, back pain, anything... and if you can afford or get your insurance to pay for it.. go to the chiropractor!!! I want to marry mine! Smile LOL
SequoiaAutumn
SequoiaAutumn

Back to top Go down

Post  LGTWifey Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:31 pm

I'll tell ya what. I was just telling my friends at work today how much my back has been bothering me, I think it might be the work chairs, because it didn't bother me when I was home for 2 weeks around the Holidays, either that or its just starting. And when I stand up from sitting down it really feels like my hips and pelvis are going to shatter, its awful. It was bad with my DD, but this is worse. I have to stand still for a second for the pain to dwindle and then I can walk...
LGTWifey
LGTWifey

http://www.richmondturners.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MillerWifey Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:52 pm

kboogie wrote:Not to change the subject here- but has anyone had the kind of pain where it feels like someone punched you really hard in the vajayjay? I can put almost no pressure on my right leg when step on it- because of this pain.

My vag is almost constantly sore...it feels like after DH came home from the last deployment and I couldn't walk for 3 days! Of course none of you ladies would know anything about that because apparently everyone here is getting some pretty regularly. Razz But I digress. Anyway, really sore, like after some great-reunion sex, and DH says it looks a little swollen (god bless him, cause I certainly haven't seen it in months). It just perplexes me because it doesn't feel like pressure from the baby's head...and really don't think he is head-down very often yet.
MillerWifey
MillerWifey

Back to top Go down

Post  lisa_m Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:59 pm

I feel sore down there constantly too. It's actually worse during the night and first thing in the morning (so much for elevating my legs to help!). We're not too frisky these days either so it's not from that, but I've had DH tell me I'm swollen too. It hurts to walk, so I don't doubt it. And I don't think it's his head anyway. So what I'm rambling about basically boils down to: Amanda - Ditto!
lisa_m
lisa_m

http://mudgetts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SarinasLilAddition Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:19 pm

MillerWifey wrote:DH says it looks a little swollen (god bless him, cause I certainly haven't seen it in months).

Ditto ...haha.. I brought up the "Blue Twinkies" term and completely killed the mood.. but then we were laying in bed and he goes, "YEAH ACTUALLY.. KINDA!" out of nowhere.. I laughed so hard I almost peed..haha Embarassed

My main "pain" gripe is my hips going numb when I'm trying to sleep. UGH.. it hurts so badly and takes precious hours out of my night!

Hang in there ladies, we're almost done!!!
SarinasLilAddition
SarinasLilAddition

Back to top Go down

Post  lisa_m Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:25 pm

It's amazing how many people women do this more than once, huh? April, Andrea and Karen - way to go! I can't imagine doing this as many times as you. I think we'll have one or two more, but I don't think I could go through all this 5+ times. You ladies are my heroes. cheers
lisa_m
lisa_m

Back to top Go down

Post  Karen Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:56 pm

You know what, after the baby is here and in your arms you really will forget about all the pg complaints you had. After your pain from L&D is gone, your mind blocks it and you obviously remember what you went thru but it becomes a distant memory. You'll see! Very Happy
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post  lisa_m Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:14 pm

I believe it because I've already forgotten just how horrible morning sickness was, and that lasted 8 weeks! There are just so many other things you never hear about until you're in it...that's how they sucker us in! Razz
lisa_m
lisa_m

Back to top Go down

Post  SequoiaAutumn Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:58 pm

I forget too what it was like.. or i make excuses like.. Oh it wasnt that bad.. i made it through just fine! Memories of labor are coming back.. affraid
SequoiaAutumn
SequoiaAutumn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down