March 2009 Babies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breastfeeding and Formula

+16
SequoiaAutumn
SarinasLilAddition
Blessed with baby #2
aquaopal
mini*van*mama
o4seasmom
Ayana
mtmissy
ldw1193
dsdavin
dominicsmamma
daj72705
obxstefany
crazymommy2b
lisa_m
LGTWifey
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Breastfeeding and Formula Empty Breastfeeding and Formula

Post  LGTWifey Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:42 pm

So whats the plan Ladies?

Breastfeeding or Formula? And if Formula, which Brand do you plan to use?

BF didn't work for me with Olivia, I am going to give it the ol' College Try again with Avery, but I don't have high hopes and will be okay if it doesn't work out for me, the biggest lesson I learned was to not count on it and not stress about it. Not BF'ing actually made me a great Mom, when I was trying to BF and Pump right after I was losing my mind, I felt like it was all I was doing, and I was getting 1/2 oz for 30 minutes of pumping, not quite worth the effort. A lot of women put a ton of pressure on themselves to BF for a certain amount of time, my friends all did, and I saw them all lose their minds over it, it was painful, wasn't working, their LO's weren't getting enough to eat/drink, they were all much happier when they switched to formula, a few had their Pediatricians tell them to switch because their LO's weren't gaining weight. I did have one friend that BF worked very well for, she was the poster child for it, and I was so jealous of her situation, but I learned that isn't the norm, all of my other friends had major issues.
LGTWifey
LGTWifey

http://www.richmondturners.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Breastfeeding and Formula Empty Re: Breastfeeding and Formula

Post  lisa_m Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:51 pm

I am planning on breastfeeding, but like you said, I'll have to see how it goes. I'm prepared for the sore nipples and initial frustration as long as my milk comes in, but I will formula feed if my little guy is starving!
lisa_m
lisa_m

http://mudgetts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  crazymommy2b Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:55 pm

I breastfed my first son for several months but had to stop of medical reasons. He had major problems with formula so it was a nightmare. We finally found a formula he tolerated well, but it took months of him being ill from the formula. I could not breastfeed my second son because of his prematurity, I pumped faithfully, but I just never did produce adequate amounts. He ended up on a pre-digested elemental formula that was about $400 a week.

I am really, really, really hoping that it works for me this time! I wouldn't have a clue what brands of formula to even try this time.
crazymommy2b
crazymommy2b

Back to top Go down

Post  obxstefany Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:04 am

I tried breastfeeding with my daughter and she did not tolerate it well. She had really bad acid reflux and the milk was too thin for her. She was losing weight. We had to switch her formula 3 times before finally finding the one that worked for her which was Nutrigemen. It was really pricy 10 yrs ago, so I cannot imagine it now. For this one, I do not know what I am going to do. I had thought about breastfeeding this time, but, I have heard so many friends of mine who had problems with it....I just don't know. I think I am going to formula feed and if we do, we are going to start out with the Parent's Choice Walmart brand and see how it goes. When compared side by side with Enfamil, it is the same thing, only 10.00 cheaper a can for powdered. I will buy some of the concentrate also, I prefer that, but use the powder for travel.
obxstefany
obxstefany

Back to top Go down

Post  daj72705 Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:16 am

I plan on Breastfeeding. I know that if it doesn't work that I will have to use formula. Thankfully, WIC covers formula.

Dee
daj72705
daj72705

Back to top Go down

Post  dominicsmamma Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:31 am

I am so glad someone talked about this on here... my aunt who brestfed all 6 of her children until they were 5 years old... YES I KNOW YUCK! But this is her secret, buy mothers milk tea from any wholefoods, mothers, trader joes, etc. You want to start using this as soon as you have the baby, so maybe have someome bring it to you in the hospital but you drink a quart (I think) a day and this will solve any and all problems with milk production. Also, she said when you don't use something like that and you don't watch what you eat, your milk comes in like water but if you drink this it will come in creamy with all of the nutrients your LO will need.

I have to say, I am going to do it especially knowing that all of my cousins are extremely intellegent (4 of them had full ride scholorships to very well known universities and the other two are still in high school). She also said you can buy it by the case on Amazon and it is much less. When I had DS, I dried up over night at 9 weeks, and I wish I would have asked her then but I will make sure that I try anything to avoid drying up!
dominicsmamma
dominicsmamma

Back to top Go down

Post  dsdavin Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:02 am

I am hoping to breastfeed. That is my plan anyways. I learned the hard way with my son. He did not "learn" to latch on until he was 10 weeks old. He was plain old stubborn about it. I had to pump and the finger feed him through a tube every two hours for that whole period of time. I went through so much stress! Looking back I should have just given him the darn bottle of formula. I was pressured by family, friends and nurses to continue to force him how to learn to suck right. He was miserable and so was I. I know that breastfeeding is best, but really, most people breastfeed for only year and then they can have regular milk. I am hoping that this time it is different. If not I will try not to give into the pressure and do what I feel is best for the baby and me. I do really hope that he does it because formula is so expensive.
dsdavin
dsdavin

Back to top Go down

Post  ldw1193 Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:12 am

I used Enfamil with Iron with both my boys and planning on using it this time around too. My boys didn't have a problem with it, but it is pricey!!! But now a days what's NOT on the pricey side??!!! Evil or Very Mad

Lacie
ldw1193
ldw1193

Back to top Go down

Post  mtmissy Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:23 am

For the first time Moms here, I wanted to share something I learned the hard way. Either which way you go, if after a little bit after eating their mouth is still white they might have thrush. The reason I mention this, if you are breastfeeding, both you and baby will need to be treated. You will feel like your boobs are on fire and that you are feeding wrong. All 3 of mine got thrush, and then so did I.

This is a surro pregnancy for me so I will pump colustrum for the first day or two and then its up to IM to do the rest!! However, with my others, I BF and supplamented with formula. When my oldest was 7mo I was preggo and he weaned himself. When our 2nd was 2mo I was in a car accident with her in the car and I think it changed my milk. I had to put her on formula only b/c my milk dried up. I think my body remembered that for our 3rd b/c about 2mo old it dried up again. Oh well, I gave it my best shot.

Jen

mtmissy

Back to top Go down

Post  lisa_m Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:29 am

My midwives mentioned that hoppy beer (like IPA) can help with milk production too. I'll try the tea but I'm a big fan of beer too. Smile As long as you aren't getting shnockered a beer here and there won't hurt the baby and if it helps milk production too, that sounds like a win-win to me!
lisa_m
lisa_m

http://mudgetts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ayana Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:06 am

im going to pump if he comes early. i made enough milk last time to feed a small country. but i paln to formula feed if he come on time. it wil be soy. i dont have a problem pumpinh but breastfeeding does not feel normal to me so it doesnt work

Ayana

Back to top Go down

Post  o4seasmom Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:52 am

I hope to try for breastfeeding again! I bf my first DS until he was about 8 months and then he just wasn't interested so I supplemented formula until he was old enough to start on milk. DS #2 bf until he was about 6.5 months and then for whatever reason I wasn't producing enough milk (plus I had giardia, an ear infection and bronchitis and had to go on antibiotics), so I supplemented for him also. With DS #3, I was a milk-producing momma! I bf until he was 14 months and it was great. I'm so hoping this one will work out well, as my choices for formula here in Peru aren't that great. But, I agree with other pp's, the key is not getting stressed out about it or giving in to what others "think" you should do---do what's best for your baby and your own stress levels!! In the end it's up to us, isn't it!!

Stacey
o4seasmom
o4seasmom

Back to top Go down

Post  LGTWifey Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:21 am

I am sure all of your Pediatricians will remind you, but don't forget if you BF you need to give the little one supplements of vitamins. A few of my friends that tried to BF didn't know anything about the vitamins, until they asked their Pediatricians about it.

I wish I had produced enough milk for my DD, I would have been fine just pumping so she would have had my milk, but it just didn't happen. I know everything could be different with this one, so I am hoping for more milk.
LGTWifey
LGTWifey

Back to top Go down

Post  mini*van*mama Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:49 am

I am going to formula feed. I was going to pump which I say each time, but I never get enough milk.

I will be using the Parents Choice formula from Walmart. I have done my research and it has everything baby needs. It matches in all area's and some other areas surpasses Similac and Enfamil. For the price $10.xx for the big can compared to the $20.+ for name brands it is better for our budget.

Oh and just a tip Parents Choice is made by Ross which makes Similac only it made under a different company name.
mini*van*mama
mini*van*mama

Back to top Go down

Post  aquaopal Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:07 pm

I plan to BF. I BF my son for 13 months. and plan to do the same for this one. BF came easy for me (luckily).
aquaopal
aquaopal

Back to top Go down

Post  dsdavin Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:24 pm

There is an herb called Fenugreek which helped my milk come in after a c/s. I also had a little beer! It does help and tastes yummy!
dsdavin
dsdavin

Back to top Go down

Post  Blessed with baby #2 Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:33 pm

I definitely plan to Breastfeed. I am excited about it and ready to stick with it for at least the first year.
Blessed with baby #2
Blessed with baby #2

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post  SarinasLilAddition Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:40 pm

I also plan to breastfeed. Since I hit 27 weeks, I've been wearing "Breast Shells" to form my nipple for proper latching on, and let me just say THEY WORK. When my DR suggested them I thought he was a little cooky, but I'm so glad I listened. I also have leaked since very early.. so hopefully that's a sign of my milk production to come. *FINGERS CROSSED*
SarinasLilAddition
SarinasLilAddition

Back to top Go down

Post  SequoiaAutumn Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:53 pm

I b/f'd all my kids. Logan was the longest at 3 yrs 10mths along with Grayson who was 15mths and i got pg at the same time i weaned them both. I am exicted to b/f again. I have a high testonstrone level so i have a milk production issue. I take 3600 mg of fenugreek pills a day, thats 3 pills 3x a day and drink mothers milk tea 3-4x a day. I love this site for all my b/f'ing questions http://kellymom.com/ It answers any questions that arrise! I was also a breastfeeding support counselor for a while. But i still too have questions that pop up so i like to go there for help.

One word of advice for those who want to stick to it.. Dont give up before the first 2 weeks. If your dry, cracked or bleeding, go to a proffesional for latch on help rather then give up. Put your own b/milk on your nipple as well and air dry.. they will heal so much faster. Smile Breastmilk also cures blocked tear ducks Smile.

I got my new boppy pillow cover in the mail today i bought from Ebay. Its brown with pink polka spots! LOVE IT! I have had this boppy pillow for over 8yrs and breastfed my kids with it.. its green though.. so i figured a nice matching cover will do! Smile
SequoiaAutumn
SequoiaAutumn

http://salisburyseven.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Blessed with baby #2 Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:06 pm

SarinasLilAddition wrote:I also plan to breastfeed. Since I hit 27 weeks, I've been wearing "Breast Shells" to form my nipple for proper latching on, and let me just say THEY WORK. When my DR suggested them I thought he was a little cooky, but I'm so glad I listened. I also have leaked since very early.. so hopefully that's a sign of my milk production to come. *FINGERS CROSSED*

Where did you get the "breast Shells" from. I am interrested in getting some.
Blessed with baby #2
Blessed with baby #2

Back to top Go down

Post  SarinasLilAddition Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:13 pm

I got mine at Babies R Us. They have a lot of different brands.. also available at Target & WalMart. First I got the Avent brand and they made my ta-tas ITCH so bad. So after trying to use tons of lotion, without success, I got the Medela brand shells and they have been fantastic! They are actually hard plastic, but they hide pretty well under my bra. Also, the Medela brand comes with two sets of discs - one for before breastfeeding (what I'm using now) and one set for dry/cracked/bleeding/sore nipples AFTER breastfeeding. Best 14 dollars I've spent!!
SarinasLilAddition
SarinasLilAddition

Back to top Go down

Post  Blessed with baby #2 Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:32 pm

Thank you. I am going online to shop for them now.
Blessed with baby #2
Blessed with baby #2

Back to top Go down

Post  YoungMomToBe1991 Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:55 pm

I plan on breastfeeding, and I REALLY hope that all goes well. But if I must, I will bottle-feed... don't know what formula, though.
YoungMomToBe1991
YoungMomToBe1991

Back to top Go down

Post  LGTWifey Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:30 pm

Yeah I had to use the shells right after Olivia was born to help with the "form" and I even had to use the shields after she was born, it was a lot of work for me, didn't feel so natural and with going back to work at Week 16, I just don't have the time during the day to pump, so I wasn't sure what I would do at that point...if I was going to stay home long-term I would probably work harder at it.

April gave some great advice, for my friends that it worked for, they had to give it a good month before it really worked. One of our lactation consultants said that roughly 25% of babies get "it", and know what to do, and the other 75% have to be taught, some learn faster than others and some just don't get it. I think milk all depends on the person too, some people don't get their milk until several days after the LO is born and some are busting at the seams before they even arrive. My Ta-Ta's (I am trying to leave Olivia to say Ta-Ta's) never filled up, never got hard, never got sore, I just didn't produce milk...I have read that sometimes that happens for people with Thyroid issues...so maybe that is my deal, who knows.

I just know for some of my girlfriends it was so stressful, it wasn't until they gave into formula that they started enjoying motherhood...granted that might be a little extreme, but it helped me not fall apart when it didn't work for me, I have seen so many struggle that I know its a personal thing.
LGTWifey
LGTWifey

Back to top Go down

Post  dsdavin Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:33 pm

Great advice, Leigh. I wish that someone had told me that way back when.
dsdavin
dsdavin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next