March 2009 Babies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stuff to pack in my hospital bag

+14
DESTINYKEE
MsButterfli
alnaday
PonyDoodleButt
o4seasmom
dominicsmamma
daj72705
SarinasLilAddition
mtmissy
SequoiaAutumn
Karen
LGTWifey
crystal82578
kboogie
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stuff to pack in my hospital bag Empty Stuff to pack in my hospital bag

Post  kboogie Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:15 am

I have been working on a list of stuff to take to the hospital with me. If anyone has any suggestions...please feel free. I dont want to forget anything...but I dont want to drag 3 suitcases in there either.

Hospital Check List

CLOTHES
-a coming home outfit for myself
-underwear
- slippers
-nursing bra
- nursing pjs
- flip flops for the shower
- Robe
-Change of clothes for DH

BABY STUFF
- Outfit for baby
- Warm blanket to cover baby when leaving hospital

TOLIETRIES
-pads (try sending dh to get these and he'll come back with depends)
-nursing pads
-Toothbrush
-shampoo
-deoderant
- lotion
- hairbrush
- Lip balm
- Hair ties
- Bath puff (one for dh too)
-tylenol/ibuprofin
- stool softener

ELECTRONICS/ENTERTAINMENT
- Camera
- batteries for camera
-cell phone and charger
-Magazines or a book.
- Ipod/Music
-portable dvd player, with dvds
- Journal
- video camera

MISC
-my wallet
-list of phone numbers
-Baby book for visitors to sign.
-Pillow with pillow case I wouldn't mind throwing away if it got dirty
- Hard candy
- Quarters for vending machine
- Snacks (trail mix, veggie tray, granola bars, fruit)
- Big bag for pilfering the everything that I can get my hands on in the hospital
- thick blanket from home for dh
-cord banking kit

Last edited by kboogie on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
kboogie
kboogie

Back to top Go down

Stuff to pack in my hospital bag Empty Re: Stuff to pack in my hospital bag

Post  crystal82578 Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:26 am

I think you are going to need a suit case for all the stuff you have so far. I mean that sounds like all needed items to me, but a lot! I only thought about my hospital bag this morning lol!
crystal82578
crystal82578

Back to top Go down

Post  LGTWifey Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:31 am

I can't stop laughing, your list is so long, but when you read through it, you really do need it all. I just can't believe that I forgot about all this stuff when I just went through this 16 months ago...you are so prepared, the list is great.

Here is my advice, take it or leave it, because its totally a personal thing, but here it goes:

- bring an extra comfy outfit for yourself, or if you are okay being in PJ's all day that is great too. I was up and dressed the morning after having my DD and wanted to wear real clothes all day in the hospital, so I had to send my parents home to get me a coming home outfit because I had already worn that.

Depending on your hospital, I wouldn't bother with Pads, they will provide them, and you should also steal/take all the extras they leave for you, because theirs are actually the best ones I had seen. Also, you probably don't need your own meds and stool softner, they will give you all of that stuff while you are there, and will likely make sure you are drugged up when you leave for the car ride home, however I was fine and didn't take the heavy stuff, just Advil.

I brought my journal too, but never wrote in it, didn't have time. Also, with the TV, not sure how much you would need the DVD player. I am just thinking about having to bring all this stuff back home with you, on top of all the stuff people will bring you in the hospital, it isn't easy getting everything to the car Smile

I also didn't bring flip flops for the shower, our hospital is nice, and the rooms are super clean, private bathroom (of course), so I didn't feel the need...

Our hospital was FREEZING (at least for my DH) so he needed a sweatshirt, just a thought. Our hospital recommended a bright colored pillow case so it didn't get confused with theirs, it was a great idea Smile
LGTWifey
LGTWifey

http://www.richmondturners.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Karen Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:02 pm

CLOTHES
-a coming home outfit for myself **make sure the pants are maternity, your belly will still look 6 mos pg.
-underwear **be prepared to have to toss them because you will leak on them. My hospital gives mesh panties. If you take your own, take your maternity ones as they are the most comfortable post partum.
- slippers **warm socks, too.
-nursing bra
- nursing pjs **you may just want to wear the hospital gown. If your pad leaks, you'll ruin your own pjs.
- flip flops for the shower
- Robe
-Change of clothes for DH

BABY STUFF
- Outfit for baby **take an extra one in case diaper leaks or baby spits up. If outfit doesn't have a cap, get one for cool/cold March weather.
- Warm blanket to cover baby when leaving hospital

TOLIETRIES
-pads (try sending dh to get these and he'll come back with depends) **ditto pp, the hospital ones are great, save the space in your bag and leave your's at home.
-nursing pads
-Toothbrush & toothpaste
-shampoo
-body wash or soap
-deoderant
- lotion
- hairbrush
- Lip balm
- Hair ties
- Bath puff (one for dh too)
-tylenol/ibuprofin **leave at home
- stool softener **leave at home
**the hospital needs to monitor your meds. What you take, what time you take them, how much you take, etc. They will give you meds. Depending on your needs, they can be some pretty good meds, too!

ELECTRONICS/ENTERTAINMENT
- Camera
- batteries for camera
-cell phone and charger
-Magazines or a book.
- Ipod/Music
-portable dvd player, with dvds
- Journal
- video camera

MISC
-my wallet **not necessary and one other thing to have to keep track of. Put your driver's license/ID & insurance card in dh's wallet and leave your's at home.
-list of phone numbers **program into cell phone
-Baby book for visitors to sign. **have nurse stamp extra set of footprints directly into baby book, they'll do it if you ask.
-Pillow with pillow case I wouldn't mind throwing away if it got dirty
- Hard candy
- Quarters for vending machine
- Snacks (trail mix, veggie tray, granola bars, fruit)
- Big bag for pilfering the everything that I can get my hands on in the hospital
- thick blanket from home for dh
-cord banking kit
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post  SequoiaAutumn Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:13 pm

Awesome advice from the other mommies! I agree with you both completely! There was no time hardly to fill out all the paper work and birth certificate let alone watching movies! Who wants to watch a movie when you can hold your new precious baby! Smile I loved looking at the tiny toes and grooming the hair and watching all the little faces and twitches. Oh and just sat and cried.. happy tears of course. I stole/took everything I could including a blanket or two or three from the bassinet. They were so cute with little foot prints on them. The more you bring with you.. the triple amount you have to take home. Including all the gifts/flowers people bring you. DH will be making a few trips with the trolley to the car. You do have a very thoughtful list though.
SequoiaAutumn
SequoiaAutumn

http://salisburyseven.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mtmissy Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:28 pm

When I first learned with our 1st we needed to bring a bag, I thought oh okay this little thing will work. Nope, I found out I did need a suitcase! I bring one that fits all my stuff with plenty of room left over. I know I look silly bringing somthing so big, but its better than going in and out 4-5 times trying to get everything!

For the first little bit after delivery, wear the gown with their pads so you don't leak all over (and you will). I bring a 2 piece PJ set with buttons down the front so I could nurse easier for a little later.

The hosp will provide you with diapers and wipes, but I would suggest bringing in one of those small packages of huggies wipes that are attached to the newborn packages. I always got the name brand only b/c I seriously did not like the feeling I was putting my hand directly on the poop. Huggies are a little thicker that the others, and definitly thicker than store brand or hosp!

I always insist on eating either right before I get to the hosp or in the early stages of labor. I know I'm going to throw up, but at least I'm not starving the entire time b/c they do not bring you food immediately!

Thats all I can think of b/c I wasn't as smart as the other lady who just pused the quote button!! I hope your getting some good tips!
Jen

mtmissy

Back to top Go down

Post  SarinasLilAddition Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:12 pm

Wow, this is FANTASTIC. You think there's any way we could make this a post that doesn't move down the list?? I want to use this as a reference, but I know in 3 months it'll probably be LONG GONE.

Thank you for your awesome list kboogie.. and thank you mommys that have added/amended that great list!

WOOWEE.. It's like Hospital Bag Christmas! cheers

PS: I really love the fact that I was not the only one planning on highjacking everything from the hospital I could find...hehe.
SarinasLilAddition
SarinasLilAddition

Back to top Go down

Post  Karen Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:20 pm

Something else I just remembered. Someone earlier posted about bringing their own baby wipes. Definitely take some. My hospital never uses wipes, and I've had 4 babies there between 1996-2004, they've always given me these gauze like squares. I have to get them wet and use them. That's fine for pee, but when that first nasty meconium movement happens, these gauze things suck to clean baby up. Meconium isn't just one time, it will happen for several more diapers. It is thick, tar-like, and gross. I'm definitely remembering wipes this time!
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post  SequoiaAutumn Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:29 pm

I actually dont mind those hosptial wipes. I steal boxes of them from the hospital. I end up using them for at least the first 6 weeks. Isnt that funny how we make things work out. Remember.. there is the home made baby wipes out of Bounty paper towels. IMO they are the best wipes to have around. I just never remember to make them. hmm thumbing the internet for the recipe.. brb..

Homemade Baby Wipes Recipes
You may wonder what's in commercial baby wipes and if they can irritate your infant's sensitive skin. Perhaps you're interested in homemade baby wipes recipes.

You can make your own baby wipes. You can use something like paper towels if you just want to control what's on the wipe and for budget reasons.

Or use cloth baby wipes (which can be washed along with your diapers).

When you use homemade baby wipes recipes you can either make your wipes solution in a bottle or put it right in the wipes container.

If you put it directly into the container your wipes are ready to go as soon as you need them. You may need to change your wipes every day using this method if you find they smell musty.

If you want to put the solution into a small bottle find an inexpensive spray bottle. You can find small ones in the health and beauty section of most drug stores or beauty supply stores. When you need to wipe your baby wet your cloth wipe with warm water and then give a spritz or two of your wipes solution.

You can keep a small container with a tight-fitting lid filled partway with water at your changing station if it is not near a sink. Then have your wipes stacked up and your wipes solution next to the water container at the changing table.

Here are some homemade baby wipes recipes:

Baby Wash Recipe #1
2 TBSP Baby Wash (choose a natural wash!)
2 TBSP Olive Oil
2 Cups water
Mix well in a spray bottle or your wipes box. Spritz on wipe before using if in spray bottle. Swish solution around over wipes if using a wipes box.

Baby Wash Recipe #2
2 TBSP Baby Wash
2 TBSP Olive Oil or 1 TBSP Calendula Oil
2 Drops Tea Tree Oil
2 Cups Water
Mix well in a spray bottle or your wipes box. Spritz on wipe before using if in spray bottle. Swish solution around over wipes if using a wipes box. Tea Tree Oil has lovely disinfectant properties along with its wonderful, clean smell.

Aloe Vera Recipe
1/4 Cup Aloe Vera Gel
2 Drops Tea Tree Oil
2 Cups Hot Water
Stir or shake until this recipe is well mixed. Don't use until the mixture cools. Spritz on wipe before using if in spray bottle. Swish solution around over wipes if using a wipes box.

Vitamin E and Essential Oils Recipe
2 Drops Tea Tree Oil
2 Drops Lavender Oil (Please be sure to use only pure essential oils - don't use synthetic oils.)
2 Drops Chamomile Oil
2 Cups Water
1 Vitamin E Cap
Cut open vitamin E caplet and squeeze into the water, and add essential oil drops. Mix well in a spray bottle or your wipes box. Spritz on wipe before using if in spray bottle. Swish solution around over wipes if using a wipes box.

Cloth wipes are truly easy to use. Or you can simply use warm water on your baby's bottom unless you're changing a particularly messy diaper.

If you notice that your baby is about to poop, you can always remove his or her diaper and hold baby over the toilet. Otherwise, your handy wipes are always available! Just pick one of these homemade baby wipes recipes and mix it up to have on hand.

You can premix your wipes solution and moisten a few wipes when you're out and about. Simply place them into a re-sealable plastic bag, or into a travel wipes container and you're ready to go. Throw them into the dirty duds bag or a plastic shopping bag along with your diapers when you use them.

Are you interested in more information about reading your baby's signals that he or she needs to go to the bathroom? Read the EC section for more information!
SequoiaAutumn
SequoiaAutumn

Back to top Go down

Post  SequoiaAutumn Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:33 pm

Sorry for such a long post.. but this link has pictures! It really helps to see what they are all about.

http://mobry.dyndns.org/~bhorling/projects/10.2003.wipes/
SequoiaAutumn
SequoiaAutumn

Back to top Go down

Post  kboogie Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:03 pm

Okay...I figured out how to make this one a sticky...so you guys can find it in 3 months!
kboogie
kboogie

Back to top Go down

Post  SarinasLilAddition Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:09 pm

kboogie wrote:Okay...I figured out how to make this one a sticky...so you guys can find it in 3 months!

Thanks ma'am! Very Happy
SarinasLilAddition
SarinasLilAddition

Back to top Go down

Post  daj72705 Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:28 pm

Thanks for the list! Wow, it won't be long before we need to get this stuff together.

Dee
daj72705
daj72705

Back to top Go down

Post  dominicsmamma Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:05 pm

This was great because I had DS almost 9 years ago and I wouldn't be able to remember for the life of me!! I can say that I do know they provide you with pads and their "undies" LOL Smile They also make sure you aren't taking any of your own meds because they do have to regulate them. Thanks again!!
dominicsmamma
dominicsmamma

Back to top Go down

Post  o4seasmom Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:31 pm

Thanks for the reminder of what's needed/what's not!! Here's a funny one though....since I live in Peru, the hospitals here provide you with NOTHING...and I really mean nothing...not even diapers for baby or pads for mama!! I even have to bring my own toilet paper!! No kidding...so my "small bag" turns into a 2-ton suitcase. Oh wow, it makes me laugh just thinking about it. I'll be thinking of the rest of you as you heist as many things as possible...meanwhile I'll be sending DH out to buy more toilet paper just so I can pee! lol

Stacey
o4seasmom
o4seasmom

Back to top Go down

Post  LGTWifey Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:52 pm

So about the "undies". I bought two packages of cloth, full bottom bikini undies (TMI, but I always wear a G-String, never bikinis), and I wore those in the hospital once I got stressed, the mesh panties weren't cutting it, they weren't tight enough to keep everything in, and when I say everything, I mean the glove filled with ice that was constantly in my panties helping out with swelling. I used these undies for the first few weeks at home and then finally went back to my normal undies. They are low cut, and not maternity, but comfy because they went under the "flub". However if you have a C-Section you will want them to hit in a different spot, because I can imagine they might hit right along the incision. I got them at Wal-Mart, and they even have a great color selection...
LGTWifey
LGTWifey

Back to top Go down

Post  PonyDoodleButt Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:06 am

The hospital I delivered at was sooo stingy with there supplies that when I asked for tylenol they acted like I was asking for morphine and it took six times of asking to get it. Later I asked for another pair of undies and they told me to ask dh to bring me some because they would only give me one. I made the mistake of asking for more diapers...3 hours later I got up and waddled my butt down to the nursery to get more....I think the problem was horrible nursing staff!!! When my IV ran out I had to tell them over and over for an hour,they left it so long my blood started going back up the tube. Needless to say Im NOT going back.
I actually didnt bring enough when I went. This time Im taking
*2 pairs of old jammies(Im not to fond of my fanny hanging out)
*Travel size bottles of shampooh and conditioner.
*Travel bottle of lotion.
*Travel tooth paste.
*tooth brush.
*Slippers(Im wearing them in and switching to hospital sox for the delivery)
*Cell and charger
*disposable camera
*Extra undies for when the flow slows.
*2 Adult diapers because I bleed so much rite after the pads dont cut it!
*Chap stick.
*Small brush.
*Hair ties.
*Robe if I have one by then.
*Ear plugs.
*Sweater if I dont have the rob
*Travel size Deoderant.
*Baby's out fit.
*Matt bra.
*Birth Plan..comes in handy when you cant talk!
*Pillow if I remember.
I really suggest getting travel size products it saves TUNS of space!
PonyDoodleButt
PonyDoodleButt

Back to top Go down

Post  LGTWifey Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:39 pm

I laughed out loud that you used the word "Fanny", my Mom uses that word, but I rarely hear others say it, I love it.
LGTWifey
LGTWifey

Back to top Go down

Post  PonyDoodleButt Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:32 pm

Haha that is actually the first time Ive ever used it...it really is a silly word..it made me feel like my grandmah but its better then the word I normally use!
PonyDoodleButt
PonyDoodleButt

Back to top Go down

Post  alnaday Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:30 pm

Pony

why ear plugs???
alnaday
alnaday

Back to top Go down

Post  LGTWifey Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:15 pm

Ear Plug is a GREAT IDEA. I had to spend the night in the hospital before they induced me, I wanted to jump out of bed and wheel my snoring husband into the hallway on his hospital "couch". He was snoring SOOO loud I wanted to cry, actually I might have cried out of frustration. If you are in this situation, take the SLEEPING pills they offer you, I totally regretted it.
LGTWifey
LGTWifey

Back to top Go down

Post  PonyDoodleButt Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:33 am

alnaday wrote:Pony

why ear plugs???
I cant sleep when there is any kind of noise not even natural sounds and a hospital is far from quiet! Im also covering my eyes any amount of light and sleep time is over.
PonyDoodleButt
PonyDoodleButt

Back to top Go down

Post  MsButterfli Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:41 am

great list Smile all i have is my Hello Kitty Bag waiting to be packed lol
MsButterfli
MsButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post  LGTWifey Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:00 pm

Wow, I am sitting here making my list...seems so real now.
LGTWifey
LGTWifey

Back to top Go down

Post  DESTINYKEE Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:09 pm

Thank you all for the list. I am a FTM and was just thinking about what to put in the bag. I am now ready to go buy what's needed.
DESTINYKEE
DESTINYKEE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next