March 2009 Babies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gestational Diabetes

+12
TechieMom
dsdavin
coppertopz
mtmissy
becky123
Blessed with baby #2
LGTWifey
aquaopal
obxstefany
Karen
o4seasmom
daj72705
16 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Gestational Diabetes - Page 6 Empty Re: Gestational Diabetes

Post  daj72705 Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:35 pm

my lunch time bs was 158...i have no idea what made it so high. i have been eating the same stuff...I can only imagine what dinners is going to be like.
daj72705
daj72705

Back to top Go down

Post  Karen Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:43 pm

Yikes!

When is your next appt? Or are you just going to call in tomorrow?
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post  daj72705 Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:54 pm

I go in tomorrow morning. I don't know whats going on. I had 2 wheat:20g, ham and cheese and tomato slice, cheese puffs 16g, cukes and peppers and milk 12 g....

I have eaten that before for lunch. I guess my body is really changing again.

Dee
daj72705
daj72705

Back to top Go down

Post  obxstefany Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:00 pm

Question for you ladies? I had another 3 hr. fasting today. My doctor ordered another because the prednasone I was on last time could have altered the results. On the way home I had a really strange thing happen. I broke out into a sweat...a really bad sweat to the point that my hair was wet and the shakes. I had to stop my car and have my husband come pick me up at a gas station. Have any of you had this reaction? When they took they ran the numbers this morning my blood sugar was 97 after fasting. I have no idea what it was after the other blood draws. I am just worried about the reaction...I did not have that before. I had some cramping too. I called the doctor, regarding the reaction, but he hasn't called me back yet. I will let you know what he says.
obxstefany
obxstefany

Back to top Go down

Post  daj72705 Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:09 pm

That has happened to me before too. With me it was because I had not eaten which caused my blood sugar level to drop low. Its the worse feeling ever. I had to get my husband to make me something to eat and fast. At the time I wasn't check my blood sugar to know how low it was. My doctor told me in the future if it drops low, under 65-70 to first drink 8 oz of milk and wait 15 mins and check blood sugar again. If it hasn't come up to drink more milk or 4-6 oz of juice of 3 pieces of hard candy or 6 lifesavers. Since I have been on this diet I haven't had the sweating and shakes happen. Its scary but it usually goes away by eating.

How are you feeling now?

Dee
daj72705
daj72705

Back to top Go down

Post  obxstefany Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:14 pm

Feeling better, but I have a dull headache. I sort of thought it was probably because the sugar dropped too low. I wanted to eat every sweet thing in sight, but didn't. I had to fast for the 3 hr test and it was lunch time before I could eat. The cramping scared me the most honestly. I don't have any now, and feel somewhat better, but like I said I still have a dull headache. I chalk that up to my body going haywire!
obxstefany
obxstefany

Back to top Go down

Post  Karen Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:19 pm

That reaction is usually what you have when your blood sugar gets too low. Like, we're talking in the 50's-60's. When you get that low, you have to have something to eat immediately. The best is orange juice (Dee, switch to 4 oz OJ instead of milk.) because it acts so quickly. Otherwise they have glucose tablets that diabetics should have on them for times like this, easy to carry with you wherever you go.

I'm curious as to what your final number was on the 3 hour. Fasting was a little high, should be below 95, so not to terribly high but over the limit. The drink wouldn't have caused the reaction, it would have caused a sugar high if you're gd, with symptoms like extreme thirst, drowsy, blurry vision, hungry.

Low blood sugar gives you the shakes, fast heartbeat, sweating, dizzy, hungry, irritable, weakness, headache. It happens suddenly and you may pass out if untreated. (I have a sheet from the diabetic center with the info on it).

How are you feeling now? How scary to have it happen while you are driving. You did the right thing having your dh come and get you. Let us know what your dr says, and when you get your results.
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post  Karen Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:22 pm

I forgot to add, that your bs most likely spiked after the drink. Then since it was all sugar, after the spike it would have quickly dropped down into a crash.
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post  daj72705 Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:26 pm

I am glad you are feeling better.

When I have gotten like that in the past I would shove whatever I could find into my mouth. Mainly sweet stuff too. After it happens I feel blah. It has only happened once since I have been pregnant but I have had it happen a lot before then. I always have a snack with me no mater what. My DH laughs at me because he says I always have a small meal with me. Even my friends know that I always have food on me.

Let me know how your test turns out! I hope you passed.

You may want to carry some peanuts around with you in case you start getting the shaky feeling again. The protein will help.

Dee
daj72705
daj72705

Back to top Go down

Post  obxstefany Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:32 pm

After I scarfed down a subway sub on the way home, I ate some cottage cheese and napped some more. I slept for about an hour and a half during the test. Minus the time they came to wake me up to draw blood. I am REALLY hoping that I pass...but honestly, I have come to terms with the fact that I probably will not. Sad I was really hoping it was the prednasone, but I know before and after that I have had some issues....so, it is what it is and thank goodness I don't have too much longer before my baby comes.
obxstefany
obxstefany

Back to top Go down

Post  Jillian21180 Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:03 am

obxstefany wrote:Feeling better, but I have a dull headache. I sort of thought it was probably because the sugar dropped too low. I wanted to eat every sweet thing in sight, but didn't. I had to fast for the 3 hr test and it was lunch time before I could eat. The cramping scared me the most honestly. I don't have any now, and feel somewhat better, but like I said I still have a dull headache. I chalk that up to my body going haywire!

could the cramping be from fasting?? I know when a couple women I know had contractions from dehydration...
Jillian21180
Jillian21180

Back to top Go down

Post  TechieMom Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:52 am

So I just had to re-take the three hour test today, since last time I flunked one out of the four blood tests. My doctor put me on the diet without the finger stick, but wanted a re-test. Anyway, I just got my results onlne, and it looks like I flunked three out of four this time, and my one hour was MUCH higher than last time. I don't understand it, since I've been pretty good on the diet these last couple of weeks. I guess now I'll have to be better than pretty good, since I'm assuming my doctor will make me test regularly now. I will find out Monday what she wants me to do.
TechieMom
TechieMom

Back to top Go down

Post  obxstefany Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:31 am

I should find out the results of my test today. I know the nurse said they faxed one of four over yesterday, but he needed all four to figure out what to do. Good luck techiemom with everything. This has definately been an adventure!
obxstefany
obxstefany

Back to top Go down

Post  daj72705 Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:30 am

Techimom,
Just wanted to let you know that I have been following my diet with no cheating at all. Here recently my blood sugar levels are running high. I know its not from what I am eating because what I am eating my levels have been normal from before. I believe that through out the pregnancy our bodies keep changing and because of that it makes our levels go up and down. I see my diabetic doctor this morning and I have a feeling I will be put on more insulin to help with the high levels. So its not that we aren't trying its just that there is so much going on inside out bodies that we can't always control it just with diet.

I will let you know what my doctor says.

Stephanie you are right, what an adventure!

Dee
daj72705
daj72705

Back to top Go down

Post  kboogie Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:22 pm

I started testing my blood today- I have not seen the dietician yet- but i am following the suggestions for a diet that Karen has outlined..and so far so good (except my FBS was high 113) but after breakfast it was 117 and after lunch it was 110. I am feeling pretty good about this right now!
kboogie
kboogie

Back to top Go down

Post  daj72705 Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:45 pm

Thats good news kboogie!

I had my drs appt today. He told me the further along I am in my pregnancy the less insulin my body is making. That is why this past week even with the diet my numbers are high. So, I am now taking 6 units before lunch and dinner and 22 units before bedtime. He told me to keep doing this and fax in my bs logs on Monday. He said once we see how my body reacts to this then I can possibly increase my carb intake at meals. Also, I can increase my insulin if I know I am going to eat more carbs that usual. He did tell me that after lunch or dinner there is a chance my bs could drop too low so that has me a little worried. I am not excited about 3 shots a day, but I know its not for long.

Karen,
Yesterday when you had cake at dinner how much more insulin did you take for that?
Do you keep anything with you in case your sugar drops too low? If you do what?

Dee
daj72705
daj72705

Back to top Go down

Post  obxstefany Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:27 pm

Well...good news. I passed the 3 hour test by the skin of my teeth...but I still passed. I was in the high range of normal, so I still have to watch what I eat. Thank God, I don't have to do that test again ever!!!
obxstefany
obxstefany

Back to top Go down

Post  Karen Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:31 pm

Sorry you have to do more shots, but it won't be too bad.

Last night I took 14 units fast acting before dinner. I normally take 10. We had Subway for dinner. I had the chicken pizziola (sp) 6 in sub. Then I had an average size piece of birthday cake. I tested at 114.

I bought some glucose tablets in case my numbers go too low. Those can be carried easily with you in your purse. I also bought some just to keep in the van. We don't always have OJ on hand, but that is something else to keep around. Much better than milk. OJ will quickly raise your bs, and if you go too low then you need to treat it quickly.
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post  Karen Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:02 pm

kboogie, good news so far on the diet control of the numbers. I hope your fasting can get under control and you can avoid meds.

Stephanie, great news on passing your 3 hr. Keep control of your diet, though. I worked with someone who barely passed the 3 hr. She went back to eating any & everything. Her baby was almost 11 pounds.
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post  daj72705 Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:08 pm

Great news Stephanie!

When I go to walmart I will look for the glucose tablets. I want to keep them in both vehicles and in my purse.

mmmm subway and cake!! Great number! How did you know to take 4 more units?

I miss eating out. I tried eating at Chick fil a and I got the plain chicken sandwich and a small fruit cup. I had looked up on the web the carbs and I was within but my bs was 145 that day.

Dee
daj72705
daj72705

Back to top Go down

Post  Karen Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:37 pm

Before T-giving, the NP and I discussed how to add extra insulin. Since I take 10 units for dinner, and I'm allowed 3 carb servings, it equals approx 3 units per carb (a little more, but you can't really measure out that little more). She told me if I wanted an extra carb to take 13 units. Well, I figured the big subway roll would take a lot of carbs, and the cake & frosting would definitely add up. So I upped it to 14 and was good. If I had done 13, I would have had a reading over 120.

As for you, you are going to have to take your insulin for a week or two until you get stabilized. I already had doses that were working for me before I started to mess around with adding more. I believe it was over a month before I started doing that. Yesterday, my ob wasn't happy I was adding more insulin on my own. She told me not to do it too often. I didn't think to ask why.
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post  LGTWifey Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:39 pm

I had a 10lb 9oz baby and didn't have GD....LOL.
LGTWifey
LGTWifey

http://www.richmondturners.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  daj72705 Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:59 pm

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the breakdown of the units and how they count towards the carb servings. Today my doctor asked me if I was already taking the fast acting insulin. I said no, that I was waiting for him to tell too. I wonder why she told you not too. I would think as long as you didn't do it all the time and your numbers were good it shouldn't matter. Who knows. My lunch and dinner were still high with taking the insulin. I have a feeling this will take a while to figure out.

My baby shower is Feb 7th and I will be eating some cake that day. So I hope to have the levels figured out by then.
daj72705
daj72705

Back to top Go down

Post  obxstefany Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:40 pm

I plan to watch myself, trust me. When the sugar goes high or low, it is NOT a good feeling. I definately do not want an 11 lb baby!! OMG...I can't imagine. Bless the ladies that do it.
obxstefany
obxstefany

Back to top Go down

Post  daj72705 Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:01 pm

I bought the glucose tablets you were telling me about it. Do you know how many you are suppose to take? There are no directions on the tube.

I also found the Glucerna snack bars. Walmart had more diabetic stuff then I realized. I also bought a box of the Ketones. It was 50 of them for $7 and I am paying $10 copay for 20 of them. I am sure they are the generic but I figured it was worth a try.

I made the mistake of eating Pizza last night. Can't do that again.
daj72705
daj72705

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum