March 2009 Babies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gestational Diabetes

+12
TechieMom
dsdavin
coppertopz
mtmissy
becky123
Blessed with baby #2
LGTWifey
aquaopal
obxstefany
Karen
o4seasmom
daj72705
16 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Gestational Diabetes Empty Gestational Diabetes

Post  daj72705 Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:29 pm

Yesterday I found out I failed my Glucose test. Today my doctor calls and tells me since my glucose level is so high that they aren't going to have me do the 3 hour test. Instead they are saying that I have Gestational Diabetes. I now have to start seeing another doctor to help me with this. I am waiting for them to call me with my appt time.

Anyone else have any experience with this? I am trying to stay cool but I am worried.

Dee
daj72705
daj72705

Back to top Go down

Gestational Diabetes Empty Re: Gestational Diabetes

Post  o4seasmom Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:31 pm

I'm sorry, I don't have any experience with GD, but I wish you the best of luck as you finish out the next few months. I think if you just take care of yourself, watch your diet, and try to relax, you'll be fine. Keep us posted on what they say!

Stacey
o4seasmom
o4seasmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Karen Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:51 pm

I have had GD all 5 times. I'll post for you tomorrow, as I'm about to log off and watch Law & Order SVU.

I can answer almost any question for you, give you my experiences, food advice, etc.
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post  daj72705 Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:58 pm

Thank you for your kind words and help. I look forward to reading your suggestions etc. Like I said I haven't even seen the doctor yet so I have no idea what I need to be doing.

Thanks again,
Dee
daj72705
daj72705

Back to top Go down

Post  obxstefany Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:46 am

I take the wonderful test today. I have had problems with mine recently in my pregnancy. We have a glucometer at work and I felt a little weird a couple of times, so I checked it. It was high both times. I am really nervous about it today and hoping all goes well. Do what your doc tells you, which I am sure you will, and you will be fine. They will keep a closer eye on you than some others now. Good luck to you.
obxstefany
obxstefany

Back to top Go down

Post  aquaopal Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:36 am

I just took my glucose test too, but I have not gotten the results yet. I hope other Moms can offer advice to you. I didn't have it with my first, but you never know...
aquaopal
aquaopal

Back to top Go down

Post  LGTWifey Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:23 am

Keep us posted!! Good luck!!
LGTWifey
LGTWifey

http://www.richmondturners.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Karen Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:14 pm

Ok, fair warning, this will get long!

I think I'll start with my history and add things in as I go along. I don't remember any of my glucose test result numbers, it's been too long.

Pg 1: after getting the news that I failed the 3 hour, I literally was so scared I broke down and cried. I had a great nurse, who really calmed my fears. I was scared that this would cause something to be wrong with the baby. I'd already been thru so much to get pg with her due to pcos and infertility tests, treatments, shots, IUI, etc. I was scared I'd cause her damage. When I went in for a nurse visit, she taught me how to use the meter and test my own blood. It really is easy to push the button on the lancet device and it may sting (doesn't always) but it isn't that bad. Use the sides of your fingertips, there are less nerves there, and alternate finger sites. Make sure your hands are warm, cold fingers will not let you get enough blood out to test. The sugar results you are testing for are more strict for gd than they are for regular diabetics. Most likely you will be told to test 4 times a day. Morning fasting has to be under 95. Then you will test 2 hours after each meal. Those readings have to be under 120. After we went over all of that, she gave me information on a gd diet as well as a booklet about how many grams of carbs different foods have. The diet was specific as to how many carbs I could have at each meal or snack. Usually if I cheated and went over, it definitely made my numbers go over 120. Along with how many carbs, she had told me what kind of foods to eat (protein, dairy (which does have carbs), carbs, etc). You will get 3 snacks a day. You have to eat them, even if you are not hungry. They will be snacks you eat after you test yourself after each meal. The reason for the snacks is so that your blood sugar doesn't dip too low between meals, you have to try to remain steady thru out the day. Make them healthy snacks, and they do need to have a carb serving otherwise they won't help your sugars remain at the level they need to be. I was told they would watch my numbers while I was on the gd diet and see if I could control it with diet alone. Thankfully, I could. I got an extra u/s at 8 months to measure growth. She was predicted to be 8.5 pounds at full term so they induced me a week early just to make sure she wasn't going to be too big. She was 6 lb, 14 oz and surprised the dr's at how small she was for my gd. I went into the hospital weighing the same I did as the day I got pg. So I had lost weight while following the gd diet but the baby, placenta, fluids, etc is what made me stay the same.

Pg 2: failed the 3 hour and was able to control it with diet again. Got the extra u/s at 8 mos, but weren't as worried as we were with #1 about her being too big. Scheduled to induce a few days early, but she came on her own the day before my induction. She was 7 lb, 1 oz. I was 9 pounds lighter when I went into the hospital than the day I got pg.

Pg 3: failed the 1 hour. My ob & I agreed that we both knew I had it so I got to skip the 3 hour and go straight to diet control. Got the extra u/s, decided to induce a week early. She was 8 lb, 1 oz. Still not too big for a gd baby. I weighed more this time, but don't remember how much. I had gained prior to the gd, but the ob said it was because I had lost 78 pounds after having dd 2.

Pg 4: ob & I said why bother with even the 1 hour. Went straight to diet control. This time I had a level 2 since I was 35 yo. Ended up with extra u/s for an extra lobe on the placenta, not related to gd, but they wanted to watch that. All my u/s said he'd have a huge head (think Charlie Brown). We scheduled my induction 10 days early because of that reason, but got bumped by the hospital for several days. He was finally born 6 days before his due date. He had a normal size head and was 7 lb, 15 oz. I weighed 1 pound less than the day I got pg.

Pg 5: This is the current one. Now I'm 40 yo. My ob decided to have me start testing my sugars early this time, so I started that around 11 weeks pg. They were high. I tried my usual gd diet, it didn't work. I got sent to a diabetic center to meet with them about diet and insulin. I was scared to use insulin. I've been on it since the beginning of October, now I'm used to it. I'm doing really well with it. Even on insulin, I have to follow the same gd diet.

You may be sent to a diabetic center to meet with their nurses, drs, and dieticians. I think over the years my ob changed how she treats the gd patient. I never went to the center before, but that may be because I was taught everything the first time and it always worked until this pg. I had to see the dietician for 2 visits. The first was a learning one. She went over food categories, serving sizes & portion control, my gd diet, filling out a food journal, and my questions. I had to go back to her a few weeks later with my food journals and sugar test log. She reviewed it and offered suggestions as to anything that needed changing. Now I'm done with her. I see the nurse practitioner (sp?) vs the dr, but that is because the dr was on vacation when I started and I guess whoever you start seeing is who you see for the entire pg. I see the NP once a month. We go over my questions, my sugar logs, and any changes that need to be made in my insulin levels. I also am required to call in my sugar logs once a week, each week I don't see her.

Now, one thing you may be worried about is if you will be able to stick to the gd diet. It is so much easier to do and stick to because in you head you have the constant reminder that you are not just doing this for your health, but you are doing it for the health of your baby. It isn't all about you. It isn't a diet to lose weight for vanity's sake. You will feel totally different about behaving yourself because of your baby. I was afraid to cheat, ever, with my first pg. My ob told me that if I wanted something, to have it maybe once a week. And to make it a small serving. If you behave 95% of the time, there will be no bad consequences to you enjoying a small treat. It will help satisfy your sweet tooth and then you won't binge later on.

I'm guessing you will be told to follow the gd diet, along with 4 sugar tests a day. If you can't stay under the ranges, they you'll most likely end up on insulin. Expect extra office visits until you get this under control. One way or another, you will get it under control.

Things that can happen if you don't control it are a large birthweight baby, possibly requiring a c-section to be born due to size. Also, you baby's blood sugar will be tested right after birth. Often, gd babies end up with low blood sugar and will then need the sugar water right away in the nursery. However, if you control it well, you shouldn't have to worry about these problems.

I'm on this board all day long. Feel free to ask me anything, and I should be able to get back to you the same day. If I miss this thread, just call me out in a new one. The internet was quite different in 1996 and there weren't message boards like this. I wish I had been able to seek the support of other gd moms when going thru it the first time.

See, I told you this would get long! That's why I didn't write it last night before SVU.
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post  Blessed with baby #2 Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:24 pm

I take my test on Monday. I am really worried because I have already gained 35 pounds. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I just want to cry. I tried so hard to stay on track and not gain any more than 30 pounds. Oh and not to mention, everyone keeps telling me how big I am. I even had someone tell me yesterday that my face was fat. I am getting really depressed and I am tired of all this weight gain.
Blessed with baby #2
Blessed with baby #2

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post  LGTWifey Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:38 pm

Who in the world told you that? That was RUDE. I can understand why you are nervous, but don't worry until there is something to worry about, that little one might just need more from you so its holding on to everything you are eating, it doesn't matter how much weight you gain as long as your little one is healthy, plus, you can focus on losing it while you walk your little one around your neighborhood in a few months. People have told me that I am much bigger with this one, and since its your second as well, its true, your body was ready for this, unlike with the first. Weight gain during pregnancy is normal...its a beautiful thing Smile Enjoy it while you can. I for one want to eat a dozen donuts every single day.
LGTWifey
LGTWifey

http://www.richmondturners.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Blessed with baby #2 Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:03 pm

LGTWifey wrote:Who in the world told you that? That was RUDE. I can understand why you are nervous, but don't worry until there is something to worry about, that little one might just need more from you so its holding on to everything you are eating, it doesn't matter how much weight you gain as long as your little one is healthy, plus, you can focus on losing it while you walk your little one around your neighborhood in a few months. People have told me that I am much bigger with this one, and since its your second as well, its true, your body was ready for this, unlike with the first. Weight gain during pregnancy is normal...its a beautiful thing Smile Enjoy it while you can. I for one want to eat a dozen donuts every single day.

It was one of my good friends mom. She says a lot of mean things and I don't think she knows she is hurting my feelings. She is older and I guess when you get older you just say whatever you want to to people.
Blessed with baby #2
Blessed with baby #2

Back to top Go down

Post  becky123 Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:43 pm

I can't believe they told you you were getting fat! We are prengant! I saw a story on the news the other day about "pregorexia" pregnant women who are too thin and how it negativly affects their babies. It was aweful. We all want to be like Angelina Jolie and all the other celebrity moms, but the reality is that it is not healthy for your baby! So dont worry, 35lbs is NOTHING! Plus once the baby comes it wont matter how much you gained, you are growing a baby! I have my glucose screening next month. But the thing is they said I dont have to fast? IDK. At 24 weeks I had gained 28 lbs, its normal!
becky123
becky123

Back to top Go down

Post  Blessed with baby #2 Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:27 pm

Okay thanks, I was just thinking that since I have already gained 35 pounds that maybe I had GD. IDK maybe their not even related. I guess I will find out next week.
Blessed with baby #2
Blessed with baby #2

Back to top Go down

Post  mtmissy Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:21 pm

Blessed with baby #2 wrote:I take my test on Monday. I am really worried because I have already gained 35 pounds. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I just want to cry. I tried so hard to stay on track and not gain any more than 30 pounds. Oh and not to mention, everyone keeps telling me how big I am. I even had someone tell me yesterday that my face was fat. I am getting really depressed and I am tired of all this weight gain.

I just had to ask if you hand hurt from slapping the person? I think that directly falls under the "if you don't have anything nice to say" act! Your body is doing what it needs for the pregnancy. If your eating right and staying active-don't worry about it! I hate to say it, but your hips'll probably never be the same but you can get damn close to what you used to be! My mom "hated" (not really Very Happy ) me b/c I was able to walk out of the hosp in my pre-pregnancy clothes the first and second time. 3rd took a little bit and now that I'm on 4, I'm a little worried Shocked but I know I'll get back to where I was if I work at it.
jen

mtmissy

Back to top Go down

Post  Blessed with baby #2 Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:31 pm

mtmissy wrote:

I just had to ask if you hand hurt from slapping the person? I think that directly falls under the "if you don't have anything nice to say" act! Your body is doing what it needs for the pregnancy. If your eating right and staying active-don't worry about it! I hate to say it, but your hips'll probably never be the same but you can get damn close to what you used to be! My mom "hated" (not really Very Happy ) me b/c I was able to walk out of the hosp in my pre-pregnancy clothes the first and second time. 3rd took a little bit and now that I'm on 4, I'm a little worried Shocked but I know I'll get back to where I was if I work at it.
jen

LOL, she is older so I just kept my mouth shut. She just continues to tell me how fat I am getting and how much my face has filled out and gotten fatter. I know I will work out after I have the baby and walk around the neighborhood. I also plan to breastfeed which I hear helps some people. I just and upset because my goal max weight was 35 and I have already reached it and I have 13 weeks left. Sad
Blessed with baby #2
Blessed with baby #2

Back to top Go down

Post  daj72705 Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:43 pm

Karen,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experiences. It really means a lot to have you ladies to turn to for support. I am still waiting for the doctor's office to call with my appt time. If I haven't heard from them by tomorrow afternoon I am going to call them back. I know that I will do whatever is necessary to keep my baby boy healthy. Like you said I have to remember this isn't just about me, its for my son.

Right now its just really scary not knowing what I need to do. I am hoping that I will be able to control this with my diet. I am trying to prepare myself for all the new things I need to learn about and for the possibility of having to take insulin shots. I am nervous about being able to plan out the proper foods to eat. Right now all they have said is to eat a well balanced diet. Take it easy on the carbs and don't eat too many sweets.

I am sure I will have more questions for you soon.

Thanks again,
Dee
daj72705
daj72705

Back to top Go down

Post  obxstefany Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:46 pm

Thank you for the helpful information Karen. My Dr. talked to me about the snacks today. He preaches proteins. So I am going to try that. Hopefully it will work. I am scheduled again in two weeks.
obxstefany
obxstefany

Back to top Go down

Post  Karen Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:52 am

You're welcome, ladies!

While you're waiting for your appt, start reading food labels. Especially for the carb foods. When you serve yourself a side dish, or something like spaghetti, take the time to measure out one serving size. That way, not only are you eating healthy but you are eating the right portions. You'll learn all about that.

obxstefany, while proteins are good, you still need your carbs. Don't cut them out completely, it is bad for the baby. If you don't eat enough carbs, you can develop ketosis. That is when your body is taking sugars out of your fat for energy. I wasn't told why it was bad for baby or what the results could be, but I was told to not let it happen. I have to use a pee dip stick weekly to make sure I don't develop ketosis.

My snacks are carbs. I get one serving of carbs for the am and afternoon snack, and two servings of carbs for my nighttime snack. You can have a protein with your carb for snack, and that makes it so that the sugars from the carb don't hit your blood as fast, and it will keep the sugars steady vs a spike. However, please eat enough carbs.
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post  daj72705 Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:24 pm

I don't see my new doctor until December 15th. I am pretty irritated. I was hoping to get in sooner than that so I can start learning about what I need to do.

Karen,
Do you know of any good websites that help with what I should eat? Or that can give me more information about GD?

Thanks,
Dee
daj72705
daj72705

Back to top Go down

Post  Karen Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:56 pm

I'll tell you what I do for a diet, maybe you'll want to copy it until you get into see the doctor. One serving of carbs equals 15 grams. That will help you when you read the food labels. You will learn a lot comparing food labels. Remember, simple carbs like processed foods are worse for your blood sugar than whole grain things. I was told to not have fruit for breakfast, too high in natural sugars. Also, when you do have fruit, eat it instead of drinking fruit juice. The fiber, skin, pulp, etc will make the sugars take longer to process than a glass of fruit juice. Basically your body will treat the juice as pure sugar.

Breakfast: 3 carbs. I'll either have instant, flavored oatmeal (2 carbs) made with milk (1). Or I'll have eggs, 2 pieces toast or 2 pieces English muffin (NO bagels, really bad on simple carbs), and a glass of milk. Obviously, the egg breakfast keeps me full longer.

Snack: 1 carb. Yoplait light yogurt (has to be light to be only 1 carb) or a small piece of fruit. Bananas are the worst, you only can have half.

Lunch: 3 carbs. Sandwich on whole grain bread (2 carbs). No jelly, so stick with a meat sandwich. Check your bread label, all breads are different due to size of slice and what they are made of. I was told to eat a veggie at lunch. So I have baby carrots dipped in ranch dressing. Then I'll have fruit or crackers.

Snack: 1 carb. Usually something like cheese & crackers or yogurt if I didn't have it earlier. Nuts are good too, low carb but high fat so take it easy.

Dinner: 3 carbs. Meat, veggie (try to eat more veggie to fill you up more), side dish (1), milk (1). So I usually just end up eating 2 carbs. If it is pasta night, I measure out 2 servings of pasta, have the sauce, then make a veggie to go with it, and have milk as the last serving.

Snack: 2 carbs. Varies depending on the mood I'm in. If you read the labels of Weight Watcher desserts, you'll find some with only 1 carb, others with 2 carbs, but then be careful of things like muffins which have 3 or 4 carbs. Otherwise, I'll eat an English muffin (both sides) with peanut butter on it. Or half an English muffin with peanut butter and then have a glass of milk.

I'll look for some websites and post them next.
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post  Karen Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:08 pm

I found this the other day. It is the American Diabetes Association website. This is the section of it on foods. If you click on the My Food Advisor, there is a tab that takes you to an area to input different foods. That will tell you how many grams of carbs each food has. There is also a recipe section.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-nutrition-lifestyle/nutrition/my-food-advisor.jsp

Here are some links from BD, which is a company that makes diabetes products. There's some info on GD.

This first one is pdf and is very long. However, it has great info on GD. It is actually the booklet my diabetes center gave to me. You should print it out so it is easier for you to reference when you need to. About half way thru there is a guide to portion sizes, plus a sample menu. I think this may be the most helpful info you'll find.

http://www.bddiabetes.com/us/download/6a_gestational_diabetes.pdf

http://www.bddiabetes.com/us/main.aspx?cat=1&id=109

http://www.bddiabetes.com/us/main.aspx?cat=1&id=564
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post  daj72705 Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:24 pm

Thank you for the info Karen.
I am sure I will have more questions once I look through all of it.

Do you get hungry between your meals and snacks?

Dee
daj72705
daj72705

Back to top Go down

Post  coppertopz Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:30 pm

Hi, my BFF had this twice and she completely managed it by diet and checking her blood a few times a day. Used one of those finger pricks and got used to it. She changed her diet to less carbs and sugar and more fats and protein. It actually made her a better eater. After each of her pregnancies, the GD went away.

So, have hope... its really manageable.

Lisa

coppertopz

Back to top Go down

Post  Karen Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:01 pm

You're welcome!

As for getting hungry between meals and snacks, sometimes I do. I did all the time at first, but then my body adjusted. Now it depends on what I choose to eat for meals. Protein keeps you full longer, veggies also help fill you up (oh, corn is a starch/carb and not a veggie) so fill up on veggies! So example, instead of just spaghetti for dinner with a roll, now have spaghetti, a salad or something like green beans, and meatballs or chicken parm (but count the breading into your carb count!). If you are hungry after a meal, you have to have a bigger snack. Have your carb but also add in some protein and/or veggies. You are basically eating six smaller meals a day vs 3 larger ones. After you eat a meal, no eating until 2 hours later (when you would be testing your sugars) so you have to choose wisely. Sometimes that sucks having to wait until snack when I didn't eat enough for a meal, but then I'll chug a bottle of water to try to fill up in the meantime.

Ask all the questions you want! I'm sure over the next few weeks, there will end up being a few others who get diagnosed with GD and end up joining us.
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post  daj72705 Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:15 pm

I just finished reading the diabetes booklet you sent me the link to. Very informative, thank you.
I am still looking through the other links.
I have a lot of diet changes to make.

Dee
daj72705
daj72705

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum