March 2009 Babies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Labor Question

+4
obxstefany
dsdavin
LGTWifey
can'twaittobeamommy
8 posters

Go down

Labor Question Empty Labor Question

Post  can'twaittobeamommy Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:11 pm

When are you supposed to go to the hospital. I thought it was when your contractions are five minutes apart? I have read to labor at home as long as possible, then go to the hospital. It seems like a lot of girls go to hospital as soon as their water breaks.
can'twaittobeamommy
can'twaittobeamommy

Back to top Go down

Labor Question Empty Re: Labor Question

Post  LGTWifey Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:21 pm

Quotes from my OB:

When to go to the Hospital:

1) As soon as your water breaks

2) When your contractions are 5 minutes apart.

A lot of people have their water break without contractions and vice versa. You should head to the hospital as soon as your water breaks because you want to be in a sterile place because infection is possible after the water has broken. But if you are just contracting a lot of OB's will tell you to wait until they are 5 minutes apart and consistent, but if this is your first, I would head to the hospital as soon as you want to, they quite possibly send you home if it isn't the real deal, but its better to be safe than sorry, AND, it all depends on how far away you live from the hospital, no reason to chance it Smile
LGTWifey
LGTWifey

http://www.richmondturners.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dsdavin Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:21 pm

I think that you are supposed to go to the hospital as soon as your water breaks. As for contractions, I don't know. Yesterday I had contractions all day a couple minutes apart. Today I still have them but they are a little more spread out. My doctor said to call or go in if you have contractions that are painful. I don't want to waste my time going to the hospital and then being sent home if it is not the real deal. That being said, I am also afraid of feeling pain and having a baby coming out of me at home or in the car. I think that every labor is different and you have to go with your instincts. April suggested the Contraction Master on the internet. It is really cool and helps time those contractions.
dsdavin
dsdavin

Back to top Go down

Post  can'twaittobeamommy Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:28 pm

Thanks girls! I was reading 'What to Expect' and in there it tells you things to do after your water breaks and you are waiting for your contractions to get closer. Such as watch T.V, go for a walk, make meals to freeze, do laundry. I guess I keep thinking about the Cosby Show when he would always say "call me when they are five minutes apart and I'll meet you at the hospital.' Hahahahaha. Pretty funny that I have based that off of T.V. show. My friends water broke and she didn't start having contractions until about 10 hours later. I guess I will just L&D when it happens and see what they say.
can'twaittobeamommy
can'twaittobeamommy

Back to top Go down

Post  LGTWifey Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:30 pm

I have always been told that they want you in the hospital after your water breaks, to monitor the fluid levels for the baby, monitor the baby, etc.
LGTWifey
LGTWifey

http://www.richmondturners.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  obxstefany Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:36 am

I went when my water broke. That is what my OB told me to do!! You and your baby can get infections easier if your water is broken. It is somewhat sterile and suppose to be germ free at hospitals.
obxstefany
obxstefany

Back to top Go down

Post  curls82 Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:38 am

I've always been told get to the hospital ASAP if your water breaks!! There's only a certain amt of time your baby can survive in the womb w/out amniotic fluid (don't freak....it's not like a couple of hours or anything) but they do need to start monitoring your labor as soon as that happens. As far as contractions go, I think all dr.'s are different. During my nonstress test a couple of weeks ago I was contracting every 3 to 4 min. for the entire time I was being monitored (about 45 min.). My dr. just said, go home and take it easy. I've always been told not to come to the hospital until your contractions are steady and consistent.....meaning they are the same time apart (ex. every 3 min. for an hour). They told me, if you skip even one "3 min" incriment, that's not considered consistent and you start over. They've also told me w/ my last baby, (if your water hasn't broke but you're contracting) don't come to the hospital until they are to strong to walk and/or talk during a contraction. If you can talk while having one or you can walk through one, then wait a little longer. W/ Sylvi my water didn't break but I was having steady, consistent contractions for almost 6 hrs at home before we went to the hospital. We called, of course, as soon as they started but I didn't go till they were painful enough that I needed to stop walking (we walked the dogs forever Smile during a contraction. Good thing to, because even at that, I labored for 14 more hrs at the hospital before our little one arrived. Hopefully this one comes a bit faster.
curls82
curls82

Back to top Go down

Post  daj72705 Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:28 am

We have all seen that every doctor is different. My doctor has always told me that if my water breaks or contractions start to call hm first and go from there. His rule has always been call him before going to the hospital.

Dee
daj72705
daj72705

Back to top Go down

Post  SequoiaAutumn Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:42 am

I agree that every doctor is different. I have been reading this thread but didnt really want to put my input because of the FTM's. But i have always been told if my water breaks at home i can stay at home as long as im feeling fine. To call the doctor to give them a heads up. And go from there. My water broke with Grayson, i was so excited i went right in.. just to sit there and walk around their 3 hall hospital floor. I could have done that at home. I only was monitored every hr for like 15 min. My contractions didnt kick in till hours later. I dont think we will rush in this time. We agreed that i would labor at home for a while, listen with the doppler, and head on in. We will call the doc to give them a heads up and let them know we are fine for now. I can say that because i know what im doing as in my body's language. I wouldnt say its for everyone.
SequoiaAutumn
SequoiaAutumn

http://salisburyseven.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  GSDmommy Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:25 pm

April, did you change your mind about the home birth, or is that still an option? Just curious. Smile
GSDmommy
GSDmommy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down