March 2009 Babies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

question for moms with other DC

+5
dsdavin
LGTWifey
Jillian21180
Karen
rylan&babysmommy!
9 posters

Go down

question for moms with other DC Empty question for moms with other DC

Post  rylan&babysmommy! Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:30 pm

are you giving them a gift when baby is born? if so can you give me some examples? im not sure if i want to for our DS who will be 2 one week after DD is born
rylan&babysmommy!
rylan&babysmommy!

Back to top Go down

question for moms with other DC Empty Re: question for moms with other DC

Post  Karen Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:37 pm

I only did when I had dd 2, but I honestly don't remember what I gave dd 1 because that was 8 years ago. She was happy to get a gift, but much more interested in her new little sister and the gift got tossed aside. They are happy & proud to get their big sister t-shirts and show those off. I think they liked those better when ds was born than getting a gift.
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post  Jillian21180 Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:38 pm

I am going to get the big brother t-shirts... and probably something to keep them occupied...

with ds#1 we did get him a spiderman toy that he really wanted at the time that ds#2 was born and gave it to him from the baby, which he'd probably never remember now... but whatever. and a friend brought him some activity books -- which he liked. (he was 6)

like we'll probably this time, maybe get ds#1 some kind of used game from gamestop (to keep it cheaper) or something and ds#2 which will be 22 months when this LO is born... we'll get him like a puzzle or 2, he really likes puzzles and the keep him busy, so if he's in the waiting room that will be good for whoever is watching him!

those are just some thing, i'm thinking of right now

Last edited by Jillian21180 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jillian21180
Jillian21180

Back to top Go down

Post  LGTWifey Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:38 pm

A few of my GF's have given me advice on this one...they have told me to have a "closet of gifts" prepared, and have them wrapped, so it can act as a distraction and surprise for them. Some of them even wrapped up toys they had taken away a few months before the baby came, they didn't even remember it was theirs in the first place. They just had them hidden away and pulled them out if they needed a break, or their child was having a hard time. I think this is more critical for SAHM because they will have both there from the get go, whereas my DD will go to daycare during the day.

I am going to bring new markers and new paper for Olivia to the hospital so she has something to play with there when she comes to visit and we got her a doll stroller to put her baby in, so she can take her baby for walks when we take Avery for a walk...and my Mom got her a diaper bag for her baby, so she can pretend to change diapers too. But Olivia is only 18M old, so I have no idea if she is going to get it or not, she doesn't like to help with things quite yet, just likes to watch, so who knows how it will go.

And I have read that its a good idea to tell your DS/DD that the present is from the baby...to thank them in advance for being such a great big brother/big sister...that clearly won't work for us, since Olivia understands in 2 word phrases, not paragraphs, but you know what I mean Smile
LGTWifey
LGTWifey

http://www.richmondturners.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LGTWifey Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:42 pm

I think the bigger thing I have heard, is when people bring presents over for the baby, sometimes the older one gets upset, so most of the time when I go visit a friend that just had her second, I only bring a present for the older child, and will give her the baby's present later or at the hospital so the other children don't notice or feel slighted.
LGTWifey
LGTWifey

http://www.richmondturners.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dsdavin Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:21 pm

I have a big brother shirt that I will surprise my son with at the hospital. We will probably buy him a present to give him. He is six and loves Transformers. It will be a big hit! I don't think that he will be jealous of the attention the baby will get. He has been praying for a baby brother for many years. I have also taught him how to change a diaper. He is very enthusiastic about it! My plan is to keep him involved with everything and also give him his special time.
dsdavin
dsdavin

Back to top Go down

Post  mini*van*mama Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:45 pm

I always do. I want them to feel part of it. Because a lot of the time when a new baby comes home they felt left out.

Now what I got the other kids I have no clue. This time around...

Caitlin and Dylan are both getting new magnadoddles. We pitched there because they had the black stuff that would not come off.

Jared is getting well I have no clue yet. Maybe a new gameboy, since other one will no longer charge. He is getting in that hard to buy for stage.
mini*van*mama
mini*van*mama

Back to top Go down

Post  GAMommy Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:04 pm

GAMommy
GAMommy

http://www.thezopfs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SequoiaAutumn Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:36 pm

Those are some great ideas. I guess i am the only mean mom. I have never bought any of my kids something when the new one comes in. Sad I figure we make it up in so many other ways.

Jamie.. I totally agree.. 8yrs old is a very hard age to buy for. Gameboy sounds like a good idea.. but expensive.. Im sure he would love it!
SequoiaAutumn
SequoiaAutumn

http://salisburyseven.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mini*van*mama Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:03 pm

April in the long run it would be cheaper since he has about 15+ gameboy games. So getting him a gameboy would be cheaper than getting him a DS which is what he wants.
mini*van*mama
mini*van*mama

Back to top Go down

Post  SequoiaAutumn Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:04 pm

mini*van*mama wrote:April in the long run it would be cheaper since he has about 15+ gameboy games. So getting him a gameboy would be cheaper than getting him a DS which is what he wants.

We did the same thing for xmas.. Shaiman got an xbox for xmas because he had so many games. We went to game stop and got it for only $40. Awesome deal! We also have 4 DS's in the house! grrr that was dh's idea!
SequoiaAutumn
SequoiaAutumn

http://salisburyseven.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jillian21180 Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:37 pm

mini*van*mama wrote:I always do. I want them to feel part of it. Because a lot of the time when a new baby comes home they felt left out.

Now what I got the other kids I have no clue. This time around...

Caitlin and Dylan are both getting new magnadoddles. We pitched there because they had the black stuff that would not come off.

Jared is getting well I have no clue yet. Maybe a new gameboy, since other one will no longer charge. He is getting in that hard to buy for stage.

why don't u see if u can get a new battery for the gameboy... it may save u some $$.. just a thought, that actually happened to my son's gameboy advanced, the battery was just fried, but we traded that into gamestop, we ddin't tell them that anything was wrong with it- we got $40 for it(ithink)

also the ds plays gameboy advance games,
Jillian21180
Jillian21180

Back to top Go down

Post  obxstefany Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:03 am

I really like that bracelet. That is a great idea! I wonder if I could find something like that for my DD that is 10.. I guess I will have to go ebaying!
obxstefany
obxstefany

Back to top Go down

Post  GAMommy Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:29 am

obxstefany wrote:

I really like that bracelet. That is a great idea! I wonder if I could find something like that for my DD that is 10.. I guess I will have to go ebaying!

I think this ebay seller makes them for all sizes, so you should check it out. Mine's been shipped, but I haven't gotten it yet. I can't wait to see it! I'll let you know how it turns out. I had her make it with alternating pink and blue crystals since Ava's having a baby brother. I think I'm going to give it to Ava from Owen. She's SO proud to be a big sister! She's only 2 1/2, but she talks about it everyday, "Ava's gonna be a big sister!", "Ava has a prize for Owen!", "Is Owen hungry mommy?" So cute! I could give it to her from me, but I think she'll be much more proud of it if it comes from him. Kids are just so darn cute sometimes!
GAMommy
GAMommy

http://www.thezopfs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  obxstefany Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:08 pm

Thanks!! I will check it out!
obxstefany
obxstefany

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content