March 2009 Babies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Name problem... please advice!

+5
SequoiaAutumn
jenryannatas
dsdavin
SarinasLilAddition
Jillian21180
9 posters

Go down

Name problem... please advice! Empty Name problem... please advice!

Post  Jillian21180 Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:53 pm

Ok, so I have kinda set myself on a name - my husband and I are not completely positive this is the name we want but...
If we have a boy, and the odds are it's a boy ( we'll find out in a few weeks)

But here's the point... we like the name Kaelan and Kale for a nickname. ( we actually were watching that movie Disturbia and the main character's name is Kale, but we did't want just Kale as a full name sooo...)

well I got a phone call last night from one of my best friend's - she was calling to tell me and have me think about the fact that our other best firend is a little upset with my name choice because it is so similar to the name for her future child that is not concieved or anything.
her son/daughter will be named Kahlin ( pronounced Colin) this is special to her because Kahl is her maiden name and she has said that this is the name of her first born for a few years now.
While I respect that and all it's not like I am naming the child the SAME name.
My friend actually said that I'd kinda be raining on the other 'parade' and that the names are too similar as well as the nicknames.
I'm actually going over this friend's house to watch a movie, and I plan to bring this up, because well how can I not??!!
please let me know how u how u would feel either way, Please tell me if u think I am wrong here,

and keep in mind that this is my 3rd and u all know how hard it is to come up with names!!! Smile also like I said we are not entirely set on this name - but I am just drawn to it for some reason
Jillian21180
Jillian21180

Back to top Go down

Name problem... please advice! Empty Re: Name problem... please advice!

Post  SarinasLilAddition Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:59 pm

So the nick names would be Cole and Kale?

I dont think they are too similar, and like you said, they are NOT the same name. Preggo hormones get the best of everyone... maybe your friend thinks you're trying to jack her name and explaining to her that you're not and the names are DIFFERENT will make her feel better.

But then again, maybe not.

Let us know how it goes, but I do NOT think they are too similar.
SarinasLilAddition
SarinasLilAddition

Back to top Go down

Post  Jillian21180 Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:06 pm

Yeah, my nickname would be Kale, hers would be more like Col , i guess.
she's not even pregnant! she is planning to strt soon, though. But I'm kinda even more upset about my other friend getting in the middle of this... and I feel like noone cares about my feelings, (preggo hormones <- right there! Smile)
and my the friend in the middle of all this actually said that this name doesn't really have a meaning for me, so I should to spare the other's feelings to look into other names and not fall too much in love with Kaelan!!
DH is mad because he feels my one friend is just trying to start a fight... scratch
Jillian21180
Jillian21180

Back to top Go down

Post  dsdavin Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:11 pm

I don't know why some people get so possessive over names! I had the same problem with my sister a few years ago. I say first come first serve. The name that your friend has picked out is different and it sounds different too. I don't think that anyone will be confused by it in the future. This is your baby and you will have to live with the name. I always think "What if I am not friends with this person in a few years" It wouldn't even matter then. Hopefully your friend will understand. Who knows, she could have a girl someday and then the whole thing wouldn't matter.
dsdavin
dsdavin

Back to top Go down

Post  SarinasLilAddition Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:03 pm

SHe's not even pregnant yet?! Pfffft... I say go with your name. As for the 'middle friend' I agree with DH.. sounds like she's just trying to start drama. Lordy how I can't stand that!! I love your name choice, I say go for it!!

Good Luck!!
SarinasLilAddition
SarinasLilAddition

Back to top Go down

Post  Jillian21180 Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:12 pm

Thank u girls for ur opinons - I'm trying not to get too upset about this cause I honestly wouldn't want something like this to cause problems in our friendships, ya know! (we've been friends for over 12 years)
But ur right this is a name I have to live with forever!
But like I said I'm going over there tonight, all 3 of us will be together - even though the 'middle friend' shouldn't be involved with it. We're watching Sex and the City!! which we're all excited to see together hopefully this doesn't dampen the whole night! No

I'll let u know how it goes
thanks again...
Jillian21180
Jillian21180

Back to top Go down

Post  jenryannatas Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:08 pm

I'm with everyone else, they are NOT similar and she's not even pregnant, if anything shes stepping on your toes not the other way around!
jenryannatas
jenryannatas

Back to top Go down

Post  SequoiaAutumn Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:48 pm

I kinda have had this almost happen to me. After my dd was born in '96 i had said we were going to have another girl and name her Sequioa. My first dd 's name is Cheyenne. I thought it would be cute together wtih the native american theme. So we had a boy hurray! we named him Shaiman (Shay-men). A couple years after Shaiman was born i met this girl who was just getting married within a few mths. We got to know each other so on and so forth. When i got pg with Logan (doesnt go with the native american them i know!) i was upset that he was a boy. She couldnt understand and thought i was the cruelest person. I was upset with myself for feeling that way and needed a friend to help me. Well she turned on me and said when she gets pg she is having a girl and naming her Sequoia out of spite. Witch!
Well we lost touch for a while. I was pg with Grayson. She called me to say she is pg with a girl and i knew i was having another boy. I really didnt want to talk to her at that point but i did. I had my son and she called to say she had her dd. She beat around the bush about all the info, the sex, the weight, then down to the name. In the back of my head i wanted to hang up and hire a hit man. I knew i wasnt having anymore kids so what did i care? I did.. she was doing this to hurt me the little witch and she knew it. She named her dd Dakota. We still talk and i tell her exactly how i felt and what she put me through. So now she says.. See you got your Sequoia now. Even if she named her dd my name i would have still named mine as well. And wouldnt be talking to her. She told me she did it to get under my skin in a jokingly way. ya right!

My nephews name is Christopher Kale .. They call him Kale.. I love that name!

Best wishes... name your child what you want to.. and never mind about anyone else. Smile

ps... i know my situation has nothing to do with yours.. very different.. but i had to share..
SequoiaAutumn
SequoiaAutumn

http://salisburyseven.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  GSDmommy Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:58 pm

I agree... a name is a very personal choice, and it's completely up to you and your DH to choose. Name your baby what you want to name him and don't think twice about it!!

I am a little leery about telling people (family & friends specifically) our name choices because I really don't want their two cents! I had that experience once already with MIL, where she made this yuck face to my responses when a friend asked me what names I like, and I swore that was the last she'd hear about names from me until Peanut's birth certificate is filled out and signed! Uh oh, Pregzilla's back... Evil or Very Mad Don't mess with this pregnant woman!!

btw, I always loved Siena for a girl, but when Toyota called their minivan Sienna, that one sadly went out the window Sad
GSDmommy
GSDmommy

Back to top Go down

Post  SequoiaAutumn Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:21 pm

Toyota came out with a Sequoia as well long after i had the name picked out.. I dont care.. its going to be her name anyway! Razz
SequoiaAutumn
SequoiaAutumn

http://salisburyseven.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  jenryannatas Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:56 am

damn toyota!!
jenryannatas
jenryannatas

Back to top Go down

Post  mini*van*mama Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:08 pm

I had the same problem with my sil. We both had the name Dylan picked out for a boy. We had it picked out first, and then they said they liked it, and wanted us to give it up. I said no because I was due 7 weeks before her. We both had girls, so it was not a problem. However that is what they had picked out if there next child was a boy...they had another girl. Well I had a boy so I got the name.

Now sil is ticked we are preggers and she is not. They have been trying since Jan 08, and I got preggers with an IUD in.
mini*van*mama
mini*van*mama

Back to top Go down

Post  LGTWifey Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:39 pm

Kale and Colin are NOT even all that close...I have said them about 54 times outloud and asked around at work and eveyone agrees NOT even close enough to have a discussion about it. Its not like you are talking about Jack vs. Jackson...or Anna vs. Ann or Jenna vs. Jennifer. There are likely families out there that have two boys named Kale and Colin.

And BOTTOM line...who knows if she will EVER have a boy...

Don't worry about it...you have the chance to use a name you like right now, go for it.
LGTWifey
LGTWifey

http://www.richmondturners.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jillian21180 Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:28 pm

Very Happy Thanks Ladies! I was surprised that everyone agreed with me! tongue
I haven't talked with her about this yet. She didn't act wierd with me the other night, so think that the other friend blew things out of proportion!!
We'll see!
Jillian21180
Jillian21180

Back to top Go down

Post  shannonrip Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:36 pm

Your other friend was totally out of line to even mention this to you. Especially knowing now that the Colin friend didn't act funny about it, it sounds like the "middle friend" was just butting in where she had no business being. If she does something like this again, I'd advise her to tell the other person to talk to you directly as you don't feel that going through a third party is appropriate.

You're pregnant so you can totally get away with being direct like that. Smile
shannonrip
shannonrip

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down