March 2009 Babies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sarina, cat questions

3 posters

Go down

Sarina, cat questions Empty Sarina, cat questions

Post  Karen Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:09 pm

Has your cat stayed out of the crib and baby gear since you put down the tin foil?

Back on that old thread when I mentioned it, I also mentioned another idea my aunt used at Christmas to train her cats to stay out of the tree. Just wondering if you saw that, because if your cat won't stay out of the nursery then you could try it.
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Sarina, cat questions Empty Re: Sarina, cat questions

Post  SarinasLilAddition Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:14 pm

So far so good with Zayda staying out of the crib. We've been leaving the nursery door open while we are home and in the past few days Zayda has only gotten chased with the vacuum & the squirt bottle a few times.

We are still getting the extra tall baby gate (41.5") but we are waiting for the shower, to see if we get it. Then if we dont, we'll buy it ourselves.

I've since taken the tin foil out of the crib and we have just not let Zayda in the nursery AT ALL. Anytime we see her getting close we run to her with the vacuum... It might sound mean but she's SO scared of that thing and it seems to be working.

Our next step is starting to close her out of our room.. which is not going to be fun. We're going to have the baby in our room in the bassinet for the first 6-8 weeks.. and we are scared that Zayda will try to get in it while we sleep. I feel so bad for locking her out since she's been allowed in there forever.. but what else can I do?
SarinasLilAddition
SarinasLilAddition

Back to top Go down

Post  SarinasLilAddition Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:39 pm

Oh and PS Karen...

Thank you for asking!! Smile Smile
SarinasLilAddition
SarinasLilAddition

Back to top Go down

Post  Karen Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:46 pm

We have 2 cats. The puker has been around for the last 2 babies coming into the house and never tried to get into the crib, so I'm not worried about her. The other cat came into the house when my son was 13 mos old. He never tried to get into the crib, but it was already there and my ds was older. I'm worried about his behavior when we bring this baby home, since seeing a newborn will be new to him.

We only have to pack n play set up. Right now it is in our room, but will go downstairs for daytime sleeping and the crib will be set up in our room (next week we're setting it up). Ever since the pack n play was set up, I've lined it with tin foil and neither cat has gone into it. Once the crib is set up, I'll put some foil in it too. My cats do come into our room all the time and sleep on or under our bed. The boy cat is obnoxious when locked out of any room, he'll scratch the door and won't give up until we let him in. He has his nails, too, so I don't want damage. I hope he won't attempt any crib exploration.

Have you set up the basinet in your room yet? Line that with foil, if it isn't already. If you find that after Aniras is here, the cat can't stay out of her basinet, you may have to use the gate for your room and then switch it to the nursery when you switch her to her crib.

I was just wondering the other day about how things were going between you, the cat, and the nursery!
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post  JenniVange Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:53 pm

I think I need to try the foil trick. My 10 year old cat was in the crib 3 different times when I tried to leave the door open. The other option if that doesn't work is this crib tent...

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2404625&fromRegistryNumber=65158589&product_skn=950613

I'm really worried about her because she loves to lay by your face and I'm afraid she'd do the same to Matthew.
JenniVange
JenniVange

Back to top Go down

Post  SarinasLilAddition Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:00 pm

The bassinet is set up, just in the nursery, not in our room yet. I will move it to our room tonight and line it with foil, and put it right where it'll be once Aniras is here. I'd really hate to have to lock her out of our room too, since she's already banned from everything baby. The foil trick worked for the crib for us, but then we decided we didn't want her in that room AT ALL. Just better safe than sorry in my book.

Wow, Jenni, that crib tent is really neat! That's always an option for us, if the extra tall gate doesn't work. And like you said, that's what I'm worried about with Zayda.. is her getting too close to Aniras face... or I've even heard that cats like to lick the milk off baby's mouth.

Zayda would become an outside cat VERY quickly if I ever saw that.. and I just dont want it to come to that. Sad

Thanks ladies!
SarinasLilAddition
SarinasLilAddition

Back to top Go down

Post  Karen Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:03 pm

Jenni, try the foil and see if it works. Cats hate the foil. If it doesn't work, then remove the mattress and lay a sheet over the spring bottom. One time before dd 2 was due, the cat we had at that time thought it was ok to hop in the crib. He hopped in with it just the way I described and his feet went thru the holes between the springs, but he wasn't hurt because I had the sheet (twice thick, folded in half) that protected his paws. It scared the crap out of him, you should have seen him trying frantically to get out.

It was the first and the last time he ever went into the crib!
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post  SarinasLilAddition Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:16 pm

Lmao Karen... I just got the funniest mental image of that silly kitty trying to get out of the springs.. that's a great idea though!

Any ideas if the tin foil in the BASSINET doesn't work? I'm thinking it will, since it worked to scare her in the crib, but I'm just wondering since the bassinet is so much smaller and more confined than the crib, if it doesn't work??
SarinasLilAddition
SarinasLilAddition

Back to top Go down

Post  JenniVange Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:14 pm

so with the tin foil, do you have to crinkle it up first then lay it out? or do they just not like it at all even when it's spread out neatly??
JenniVange
JenniVange

Back to top Go down

Post  Karen Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:36 pm

On my pack n play, I have both the diaper changer and a newborn napper (not the bassinet part, the napper is like a papasan that sits above the bassinet part). For the diaper changer, I laid one long piece of foil in it. For the napper, I laid 2 shorter pieces and conformed them more to the napper. I kept them neat, so I'd be able to see evidence of paw prints. So far, no evidence.

I'd leave them neat, they will make more noise then if the cat jumps on them.

Sarina, it is working in the pnp napper, it should work in a regular style bassinet. I'd think she'd be more tempted to try out the bassinet, since it is cozier than the crib. Imagine a kitty all curled up sleeping in the bassinet. Since she is scared of the foil from the crib, put some in and maybe she won't even go into it once she sees it in there. Hopefully she'll make the association.

I'm going to continue to use the foil for a while after baby is here, too. When baby isn't in the crib or the pnp, the foil will be set back in. You know how curious our furry friends get.
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post  SarinasLilAddition Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:37 pm

When I did it, I "scrunched" the foil a bit so it wasn't laying completely flat, but I didn't wad it up or anything. Just pulled out a BIG strip of it and scrunched it to the size of the crib. The minute she hit it she FREAKED out and bolted out of the room.
SarinasLilAddition
SarinasLilAddition

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down