March 2009 Babies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloth Diapering Thread

5 posters

Go down

Cloth Diapering Thread Empty Cloth Diapering Thread

Post  LuckyxTwo Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:13 pm

I noticed there where a lot of threads on OBBC about cloth diapers and a question on this board too, so I thought I'd start a CD thread so everyone can ask questions and share info and ideas.

Shoot now I forgot what the Q was on the other thread. lol brb

LuckyxTwo

Back to top Go down

Cloth Diapering Thread Empty Re: Cloth Diapering Thread

Post  LuckyxTwo Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:18 pm

DsDavin~ ask away I am sure I'm not the only cd mom here. I have never used G diapers. I have heard of them and they seem like a good idea. My only worry with those would be cost and also is it possible to clog the toilet with those? I have no idea. I do know that you can buy rice paper liners for cloth diapers that you can flush down the toilet. If cleaning the diapers is an issue the liners make it really easy and are not bleached. You can also buy a hand sprayer that attaches to the back of the toilet and is like a kitchen sink sprayer, to spray the poop away.

Does anyone have advice on wool soakers? I did not use them last time around, but now my best friend knits and she was asking me to find out more info. thanks!

LuckyxTwo

Back to top Go down

Post  kboogie Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:41 pm

Hey, I am a ftm...but i plan to cloth diaper ( I am thinking bumgenius 3.0- because even though they are expensive..they are still a heck of a lot cheaper than sposies) I thought about the g diapers..but i think they are as much $ as disposables- and, well, I am cheap.
kboogie
kboogie

Back to top Go down

Post  LuckyxTwo Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:17 pm

LOL I'm cheap too. I used Fuzzy Bunz with the twins and although it has been years I was surprised that all the elastics have dried out. I'm going to sew in new elastic, but damn! I am also going to look into the Bumgenius because I have heard wonderful things about them. I figure I'll register for 10 of those and hope I get them!

I have to say I really loved using cloth, I did a lot of research about the chemicals in sposies and can't imagine putting that in my babies system. I also find it really gross that people don't flush poop from sposies. Where do you think that poop goes?? Imagine putting adult feces in the trash, its just gross and actually illegal (although not enforced). Its not right throwing away human waste, the biproducts end up in our drinking water. Just think if your two year old is on an antibiotic for and ear infection that antibiotic is in his poop and that goes into our water supplies. Thats just not cool. LOL I know I'll get blasted, but it totally irks me and just because everyone does it, does not make it right.

off my evening soap box... Embarassed

LuckyxTwo

Back to top Go down

Post  kboogie Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:53 am

With Fuzzi bunz- do you put a diaper cover on it too? Or is it plastic-y on the outside?
kboogie
kboogie

Back to top Go down

Post  Karri_B Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:29 pm

kboogie wrote:With Fuzzi bunz- do you put a diaper cover on it too? Or is it plastic-y on the outside?

Fuzzi Bunz are pocket diapers. They have a waterproof outer layer and an inner wicking layer. There is an opening in the back for an absorbable insert (microfiber towels work well and are inexpensive).

I have cloth diapered two of my kids. We will be using prefolds and covers. Hopefully I can knit some wool longies before the baby comes. I'm super excited about that.

I think I will buy two dozen preemie prefolds, but we're set on infant prefolds. I have NEVER had a blowout or leak through w/ prefolds and wool. It is simply amazing.

I no longer CD DD 'cause her poo in never regular and I don't want that extra mess to worry about. If we had some AIO's, I think we might still be CDing w/ her. I'm sure I could sell off some of her wool and make enough to buy some AIO's. Hmmmm

Two sites for everyone to check out:

diaperswappers - buy and sell used or new diapers. Lots of great mommy and CD talk.

Hyena Cart - WAHM made diapers, pads, clothing, toys, etc. AMAZING group of WAHM's. This was my CD weakness Embarassed

I am excited to CD a new little one!
Karri_B
Karri_B

Back to top Go down

Post  kboogie Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:51 pm

Anyone have suggestions on what kind of diaper pail to buy for CD? those diaper genie things seem to take a chemical deoderizor thing...which kinda defeats the purpose of keeping chemicals away from the baby, right?
kboogie
kboogie

Back to top Go down

Post  dsdavin Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:34 pm

I saw this on another thread here: someone found Bum Genius diapers at Target. Has anyone tried these before? It would be so convenient because I have a Target close to my house. I was thinking that I would have to order everything online. I looked at the website and they won't have them in for another couple of weeks. It did say that the diaper wraps were made out of polyester. Just wondering if that is "breathable" or does it make the baby uncomfortable because it might get too warm?
dsdavin
dsdavin

Back to top Go down

Post  Karri_B Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:47 pm

Any plastic is not breathable. If you want breathable, you'd need to go w/ wool wraps/covers/longies. However, if you think about it, disposable diapers are not breathable either.

As newborns, the poly covers didn't work too well. I have a few pocket diapers and some fitteds that I made myself, but they ALWAYS leaked. I kept going back to prefolds and covers.
Karri_B
Karri_B

Back to top Go down

Post  dsdavin Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:29 pm

I was also wondering about a diaper pail. I am at home, so I think I will be able to keep up on the washing of the cloth diapers (gross!). I haven't done this before so I have no idea how stinky it gets.
dsdavin
dsdavin

Back to top Go down

Post  Karri_B Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:45 pm

breastfed poo isn't that smelly. Depending on how many diapers you have, you would be washing every other or every two days. So that shouldn't get too stinky. That is until you get to toddlerhood. tongue Shocked

Let me see, diaper pails . . . . we have just a plain jane pail. Here is a quick breakdown of diaper pails as they apply to cloth diapering.
Karri_B
Karri_B

Back to top Go down

Post  dsdavin Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:30 am

Thank you for all of the info! I never knew any of this. I am sure that I will have many more questions before I am due. When I tell people that I am going to use cloth diapers they always have the same reaction: "You are crazy!". I know that it is not the easiest or most convenient way to diaper, but I am trying to do my part here. I have a day care in my home and everyday I have to dump loads of disposable diapers into the garbage.
dsdavin
dsdavin

Back to top Go down

Post  kboogie Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:40 am

Thanks for the diaper pail link. Great info on there! I think I am going to try a dry pail.
kboogie
kboogie

Back to top Go down

Post  LuckyxTwo Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:11 pm

I did a diaper bag, I wish I had a link, but basically it was just a large bag with a plastic liner that held all the dirty dipes. It worked so well it was even in the kitchen (our laundry is in the kitchen) and you could never smell it!

My brother visited this weekend with his 10 week old and he is using the Bum Genius 3.0 and I LOVED them. Super soft, very easy to use and he said he has not had a leak yet! I am def going to get these.

LuckyxTwo

Back to top Go down

Post  dsdavin Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:33 pm

How often do you wash the diapers? How many covers/diapers do you suggest investing in? What detergent are you using? Can you bleach? So many questions.....
dsdavin
dsdavin

Back to top Go down

Post  dsdavin Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:38 pm

WHERE ARE ALL THE EARTHY BIRTHYS???????
dsdavin
dsdavin

Back to top Go down

Post  kboogie Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:25 pm

Hey..I am here. I am getting between 24-36 diapers to start. I know I will be washing every day at first. I am not getting any covers- because i am going with all-in-ones. I also dont know what detergent to use- I am going to a place called the diaper lab to have a consultation (I dont know if they have something like this near your home- but its worth looking into) http://diaperlab.com/shop/index.php

I do know you can't use bleach- it breaks down the fabric. I have also heard that if you use Baby Oxyclean and leave it on too long..it will eat holes in the fabric.
kboogie
kboogie

Back to top Go down

Post  dsdavin Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:55 pm

Thanks, I will take a look at the site. It is such a big financial investment that I want to make sure that I get the right type of diaper and know how to care for them so I don't ruin any.
dsdavin
dsdavin

Back to top Go down

Cloth Diapering Thread Empty help!

Post  Kate120 Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:02 pm

We are considering all the options...and now are completely overwhelmed! Everytime I read reviews about one type, I change my mind. If you use an all-in-one, like BumGenius, how many do you suggest buying? Anyone used g diapers? How did you like them? Please, tell me your experiences, good and bad, with different options! Thanks!!!

Kate120

Back to top Go down

Post  LuckyxTwo Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

For detergent I always used All Free and Clear, you use 1/4 the amount that you would use to wash clothing. Sometimes if they were stinky I would put a few drops of tea tree oil or baking soda in the first cold rinse cycle.

To wash you do a cold rinse, warm wash, cold rinse. Do not use bleach.

LuckyxTwo

Back to top Go down

Post  dsdavin Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:34 pm

I will be sure to stock up on the All free and clear. I think I have decided to go with the Bum Genius 3.0. Thanks "Lucky" for the washing info!
dsdavin
dsdavin

Back to top Go down

Post  Karri_B Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:03 pm

Hoenstly, I use a bit of Dawn dishsoap to wash our diapers. works better than ANY detergent that I've used to wash dipes Wink
Karri_B
Karri_B

Back to top Go down

Post  dsdavin Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:15 pm

I am sure that Dawn is way cheaper! I will give both a try to see what works better for me. Keep the suggestions coming! Thanks!
dsdavin
dsdavin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down