March 2009 Babies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bumper pads?

+6
LGTWifey
GAMommy
Mom to Boo-Rae
SarinasLilAddition
Karen
Limedrop
10 posters

Go down

bumper pads? Empty bumper pads?

Post  Limedrop Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:11 pm

Ok so i cant find a bed set that i really like, and that will match Blaise's theme (sports) that doesnt cost over 100.00 (thats crazy for a crib bedding in my opinion,.. i wouldnt spend that much on a bedding set for my queen size bed, why would i on a crib???) so i was thinking of just buying some dark blue sheets and making a red and blue blanket and sowe (sp) some sports theme pictures onto it (ive been getting really crafty lol) or getting some material from a craft store that was already sports theme and just making a blanket out of that.. So heres my dilema, do i buy a bumper or not?? i know most bed sets come with one but i heard that so many babies die from rolling over and sufficating and all that from that bumper? And thate ven the firmest and most secure ones still caused death before.. whos NOT gonna do a bumper?? When do babies start rolling over if i decide to buy one??
Limedrop
Limedrop

Back to top Go down

bumper pads? Empty Re: bumper pads?

Post  Karen Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:16 pm

I've always used a bumper and will again. I determine when to take it out based on each child and when they start scooting around in the crib. Once they can roll over, scoot (even on their backs), etc then I take it out.
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post  SarinasLilAddition Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:18 pm

I plan on doing exactly what Karen said Smile
SarinasLilAddition
SarinasLilAddition

Back to top Go down

Post  Mom to Boo-Rae Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:43 pm

Ours was a waste of money. I spent a ton of money on a set from Pottery Barn for DD and it was all just for show. I won't be buying one this time.

Mom to Boo-Rae

Back to top Go down

Post  GAMommy Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:46 pm

I used the puffy one that came with my set with DD until she was mobile enough to scoot around. Then I bought a "breathable" bumper. Before I put it in, my DD got her leg caught between the slats and almost broke it. Didn't want to risk that happening or of course her suffocating, so the "breathable bumper" was the perfect solution!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2266849
GAMommy
GAMommy

http://www.thezopfs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LGTWifey Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:08 pm

A lot of my friends have switched to the breathable bumper after they take their "real" one out. We didn't go that route, but I really have no idea why. Olivia's legs and arms get stuck all the time, but it doesn't phase her, she just lets them hang out, cracks me up. We took our bumper out once she could move around, she was a very late roller, it all depends on the LO. A few of my friends have put their "real" bumper back in, I worry about that, but a lot of them do it, I don't worry about the SIDS issue, I worry about the kid using the bumper to get themselves out of the crib...

You can get solid colored bumpers at BRU. I don't think a blanket is necessary, you can't use it for a long long time, but its always included with the sets because it looks so darn cute Smile
LGTWifey
LGTWifey

http://www.richmondturners.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Limedrop Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:09 pm

Karen wrote:I've always used a bumper and will again. I determine when to take it out based on each child and when they start scooting around in the crib. Once they can roll over, scoot (even on their backs), etc then I take it out.

see this is where i get confused.. isnt the point of a bumper to protect them once they CAN scoot and roll over so they dont hit their head on the raills? whats the point of having one when they dont move much?? this is why im so torn on if i should spend the money.. I dont care if it looks nice, the cirb will look just as nice without it, im just thinking if its safer to have one (when he rolls over so he doesnt hit his head) or not to have one (with sids and all the other dangers i read about)..
Limedrop
Limedrop

Back to top Go down

Post  dsdavin Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:15 pm

I agree it is very confusing. I did see the breathable bumper and it looks really cool. I might switch to that later.
dsdavin
dsdavin

Back to top Go down

Post  mini*van*mama Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:23 pm

I always used a bumper. I always use it until they can pull them self up. Which is about 6-8 months(give or take). Once they start rolling I am more at ease knowing there is a bumper there and they can't hurt there little head on the bars.
mini*van*mama
mini*van*mama

Back to top Go down

Post  SequoiaAutumn Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:16 pm

WARNING*** Dont listen to the seasoned mom because she is a bad influence..

Grayson still has a bumper in his crib. I have always used one with no issues. But i fully understand the concerns. I think the breathable ones are very creative and a nice alternative.
SequoiaAutumn
SequoiaAutumn

http://salisburyseven.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  dsdavin Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:08 am

It is so easy to worry about every little thing that has to do with the baby. Remember when they used say it was safer to put the baby to sleep on their tummy? Then they switched it up to sleeping on their back was safer. So, bumper or no bumper. Who knows? I am the type to watch my baby constantly, watching to make sure they are breathing, and losing sleep over it. The news was saying recently that having a fan in the room to increase air circulation will help keep your baby from getting SIDS. How did any of us ever survive?
dsdavin
dsdavin

Back to top Go down

Post  Karen Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:53 am

Limedrop wrote:
Karen wrote:I've always used a bumper and will again. I determine when to take it out based on each child and when they start scooting around in the crib. Once they can roll over, scoot (even on their backs), etc then I take it out.

see this is where i get confused.. isnt the point of a bumper to protect them once they CAN scoot and roll over so they dont hit their head on the raills? whats the point of having one when they dont move much?? this is why im so torn on if i should spend the money.. I dont care if it looks nice, the cirb will look just as nice without it, im just thinking if its safer to have one (when he rolls over so he doesnt hit his head) or not to have one (with sids and all the other dangers i read about)..

I kwym, but I chose to remove them because the scare of suffocation won out over the scare of them getting a leg or arm stuck outside the rail. As for getting stuck like that, only one of the four ever got a leg out and stuck.
Karen
Karen

Back to top Go down

Post  JeniDwy Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:08 pm

I'm with you. I bought an individual sheet, coordinating bed skirt and the breathable bedskirt. My total for everything was around$60. The breathable bumper is also great for cribs with a sliding side because it's 2 pieces. It comes in several colors as well. They've got them at babies-r-us. Carter's makes a good assortment of individual sheets and bed skirts that aren't just solids too Smile
JeniDwy
JeniDwy

http://ifoundhappy.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum