March 2009 Babies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CHEAP AND EASY RECIPE EXCHANGE

5 posters

Go down

CHEAP AND EASY RECIPE EXCHANGE Empty CHEAP AND EASY RECIPE EXCHANGE

Post  Limedrop Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:33 pm

Ok so i dont know about many of you but Dh and i are on a budget BIG TIME!! i figured we can all exchange recipe's that are cheap and easy to make??? Lets try to keep it under 10.00 per meal.. Here is mine, i actually made this up one day from 3 diff recipies and it came out awesome!! it makes enough for a family of 3 or 4 if the kinds are under 5..

4 chicken breast
8-10oz of salsa (i use the PACE PICANTE MILD SALSA or whatever is on sale)
1 small can of cream of mushroom soup
1 small can of cream of chicken soup
white rice

Mix the soups with the salsa in a bowl, pour over chicken in a crock pot.. cook low 6-8 hours and serve with white rice.. I love you

CANT WAIT TO GET OTHER PPLS IDEAS!!!
Limedrop
Limedrop

Back to top Go down

CHEAP AND EASY RECIPE EXCHANGE Empty Re: CHEAP AND EASY RECIPE EXCHANGE

Post  dominicsmamma Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:07 pm

Great idea...

Tamale Casarole...
4-8 tamales (fresh or frozen)
1 can of corn
1 can of mexican diced tomatoes (the ones with the chilis in it... not spicy)
1 can (small) of chili (your favorite and only use when using fresh tamales not the frozen)
grated cheese... I buy a bag of the mexican blend at the store

Depending on how many people you are cooking for you will line a casorole dish with the tamales and you can cut them in half or what ever you need to do to line the bottom of the dish. (I use a 9x13 glass cake dish)

Pour can of chili over the top (only if you are using fresh tamales)
Pour can of Tomatoes (drained) on top of that
Pour can of corn (drained)
Add your cheese to your liking (we use one small bag of the mexican blend grated cheese, but we love cheese)
Put in oven at 350 until cheese is melted (for fresh) or for 45-60 mins (for frozen)

You will want to cut it like a cake, into squares don't worry about how you laid out the tamales!! We add sour cream to the top.

****If you get the frozen tamales this meal for a family of 6 with left overs for the next day should only cost you about $8.00****
dominicsmamma
dominicsmamma

Back to top Go down

Post  Limedrop Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:23 pm

i hope more ppl post Neutral this would be fun if everyone came up with something..
Limedrop
Limedrop

Back to top Go down

Post  lisa_m Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:17 pm

I am cheating and going to Dinners Ready today. I've never done anything like it before, but if you go make the dinners and order enough, you can get discounts. I pre-ordered 10 dinners for 2 for $126 (which includes tax already). It works out to be about $6.30 per serving, so a little more expensive than what you were hoping for, but I like that I don't have to come up with the ideas, or buy more groceries to make the food than you need for the recipe. I have no idea if the food is any good, but I'm looking forward to having 10 dinners ready for after our little man's arrival.

I'll try to think of other quick and easy things we make at home. I haven't been much of a cook lately. Shocked
lisa_m
lisa_m

http://mudgetts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JeniDwy Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:13 pm

Check out this thread because there were a ton of recipes and I know the ones I posted were pretty easy and definitely CHEAP!

https://march2009.forumotion.net/march-2009-moms-f1/frezzeable-casseroles-or-other-things-t996.htm
JeniDwy
JeniDwy

http://ifoundhappy.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Limedrop Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:00 pm

Heres one that looks fast, easy and cheap that i saw on the oprah show today...

Southwestern Tuna Casserole
Recipe created by Cat Cora

Try chef Cat Cora's recipe for Southwestern Tuna Casserole, a dinner from her complete seven-day menu.

Ingredients:Serves 4

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion , chopped
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels , thawed
1 can (10.5 ounces) reduced-fat, reduced-sodium cream of mushroom soup
1 cup store-bought bottled tomato salsa
1 tsp. chili powder (optional)
1 can (6 ounces) tuna , packed in water, drained and flaked
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pasta , cooked according to package directions
1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar blend preferred)
Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish with olive oil and set aside.

Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat with the 1 tablespoon of oil, and when the oil is hot, add the onions.

Cook and stir until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in corn and cook 2 minutes longer to incorporate. Stir in the soup, salsa and chili powder (if desired) until well blended.

Add the tuna and cooked pasta, stirring just to coat. Pour into the prepared greased casserole dish. Sprinkle the top evenly with cheese.

Bake for about 25 minutes or until bubbling, remove from oven and serve immediately.
Limedrop
Limedrop

Back to top Go down

Post  dsdavin Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:53 pm

I made Magda's chicken, salsa, soup and rice recipe last night. It was fabulous! The whole family loved it. I had leftovers today and wrapped the chicken in a tortilla. Yummy!
dsdavin
dsdavin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down